Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Help!!

TwistedX

My wife has taken an interest in hunting. Only problem is she is maybe 5' tall and she needs a small frame weapon. Any suggestions?

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I am assuming you are wanting to use a firearm since this is under the firearms section? I would suggest a savage 220f great guns, super accurate.

That and a set of shooting sticks, should keep you fairly accurate and should be able to handle it.

For xbows, look for those inverted ones made by horton and stuff.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I agree with Alberts savage suggestion since I have one lol... But I was thinking of her using a muzzle loader as you can adjust the powder charge up or down depending on the recoil results.... Most inlines are incredibly accurate.....

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I would also second the muzzleloader option especially if this is her first foray into shooting firearms. Most youth models of shotguns are shortened stocks but will kick harder than their full sized brethren b/c of less mass to absorb the energy. With a muzzleloader you can easily determine a load that is not so jarring that it creates bad habits for her in the future.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I would also second the muzzleloader option especially if this is her first foray into shooting firearms. Most youth models of shotguns are shortened stocks but will kick harder than their full sized brethren b/c of less mass to absorb the energy. With a muzzleloader you can easily determine a load that is not so jarring that it creates bad habits for her in the future.

didnt think of a muzzy! Good call! I was shooting one when I was like 8 or 9. I was a fat little kid but still, I wasnt very tall, and able to handle one!

TwistedX

I considered the 220f and the muzzleloader but she wants an "all around" gun, we looked at some youth models last weekend and they still seemed a bit long. I've been looking online at the mossberg super bantam since the stock has extra adjustment. I wasn't sure if anyone knew more about them or if there is an 11-87, 935 option out there?

yotehunter

spencerville oh
Muzzie is a good choice. My daughter shot mine with 75 grains of triple seven and was hole for hole at 75 yards with plenty of knock down power. Or you could look into any youth model 20 gauge with the rite barrel and sabot the can be accurate as hell too

bluedog

Ooo ooo ooo, I don't know much about guns, but I can help here a bit (I think).

I LOVE my ML for deer. I love it way more than my shotgun for deer because yes, that shotgun kicks a lot more. That being said, I was started off with a youth model Remington 870 20 gauge. Yeah, shooting slugs out of it is a bit of a b***h, but doable (I am very slight framed). But the great part of that shotgun is that I have used it for turkey (it still is my go to turkey gun), rabbit, squirrel and dove. With a shotgun barrel and a slug barrel, it is the ultimate do-it-all gun. OK, not do-it-all, but certainly it is a versatile gun. If you get a ML, then it is all about shooting deer. Of course, you can get a ML pretty cheap so you could get her 2 guns. hehehehehe!

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I have been looking into the Mossbergs for my Grandson who is 7. I like what I've seen so far.
For a Crossbow, look into the Parker Challenger. 399. for a nice package deal at Wyvern Creations. They are lightweight (only 5#) and compact......Plus they still shoot hard.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I am looking to trade a few guns for an 11-87 in 20 gauge with both barrels. My suggestion is also to get her a muzzleloader if the primary purpose is to hunt deer. You could also set her up with a nice .410. Some guys will poo-poo on .410s for deer hunting, but when set up right and the right shot placement, it is a deadly weapon. A semi-auto 20 gauge could be a bit much gun, but I'd think a synthetic 11-87 would be a great all around gun for her. But be ready to fork out the coin. Brand new with both barrels my gun guy quoted me $930!

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I am looking to trade a few guns for an 11-87 in 20 gauge with both barrels. My suggestion is also to get her a muzzleloader if the primary purpose is to hunt deer. You could also set her up with a nice .410. Some guys will poo-poo on .410s for deer hunting, but when set up right and the right shot placement, it is a deadly weapon. A semi-auto 20 gauge could be a bit much gun, but I'd think a synthetic 11-87 would be a great all around gun for her. But be ready to fork out the coin. Brand new with both barrels my gun guy quoted me $930!

You need a new gun guy...

You can get a Versamax with both barrels cheaper than that.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
You need a new gun guy...

You can get a Versamax with both barrels cheaper than that.

I haven't shopped around yet. Just went 3 doors down and asked. I'm wheeling and dealing anyways. My buddy has 22 or some odd FB pages dedicated to selling/trading guns. It's loaded with 1100's and 11-87s. I may get one of each depending of which of my guns I'm willing to come off.

TwistedX

It sounds like most recommend the ole smoke pole and a shotgun. Y'all sure r good at spending my $ :smiley_crocodile:. I'll have to look into it. She can handle the recoil of my 220 with 3" slugs I couldn't imagine a 20ga. 2&3/4 shot shell, out of a pump, single, or semi auto could have more recoil? What shotgun would you recommend for her ? Has anyone got direct experience either with their wife or with kids using one that's particularly nice? I know most opinions will differ based on personal experience but any suggestion will help. As for this season I'll keep her on my 220 and see what happens. Thanks again!!

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I'll put it this way. I shoot a Rem 1100 in 20 gauge (one of the old ones built on the 12 ga frame). I don't enjoy sighting it in with slugs. My brother had some of the 870 youth models with the 2 barrels for his 2 stepsons. I hated shooting slugs in those guns, I honestly would prefer to shoot almost anything else over those things. I honestly think my fathers 12 ga 1100 kicked less with slugs than those things.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
A semi autos action absorbs some of the recoil for ejecting the round, so yes semis will actually have less recoil then pump and single shot guns....