Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

The Warmbag

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
Has anybody seen this or used one? http://www.thewarmbag.com/

Its gotten cold here in northern NH and even with my best UA and Smartwool gear it's tough to sit more than 2 or 3 hours. I've thought about buying a set of extreme cold bibs and a jacket but the good stuff will cost $400 - $500 for both. I've been looking at the Heater Body Suit but the biggest complaint I hear is they are TOO bulky for bowhunting. I saw this company's ad in Bowhunter magazine. The Warmbag seems to have taken the bowhunter's needs in to account. At least that's what the video shows. This thing is $300 and I would assume it should last quite a while. Curious to hear what you guys think.

AJ

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have one. It has it's pros and cons. Bought mine at the Deer and Turkey Expo a couple years ago for $100. They CAN be bought cheaper than the Heater. In extreme cold, I find the liner to be a little noisy. Once you are in it awhile the material warms up to your body temperature and seems to quiet down. As with any of these, (I would guess), you will lose some mobility. No doubt about it. The hood on mine has 3 snaps to hold it on. I often find myself adjusting it or trying to pull it up over my head and it never fails one or two of them will unsnap. Not a huge deal, just awkward to snap back on. It does roll up nice and tight and is not too heavy or bulky to carry in/out. In extreme temperatures I really don't know how well it would do. I have used mine in some single digit temps and it was adequate. I would probably be disappointed if I had spent $300 on it. For $100 I am very happy with it. I simply don't use it often enough to leave it sit at the $300 price tag. I guess this is a personal justification we each have to make for ourselves.

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I've got the HBS as well. It's the snow apparation camo. I originaly had the original camo , but wanted the woodlands, so I sent it back & they gave me the snow which irked me, but I let it be. I should have sent that back too just the same. It's pricey & I've never used it much due to the snow camo, but inside a blind it's great no matter when. This is the 1st year I've used it more than a few times. It's a bitch to get in & out of. I see on the Warmbag, there's slots for your arms, which I would prefer moreso, but it's just a bag, which means you can't step around much without the fear of falling over ... or actually doing it. So, if you don't like the cold & have no problem packing in something the size of a sleeping bag, either one will keep ya warm.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I have a HBS. I rarely use it, haven't used it this season, but I hardly ever hunt more than two or three hours at a time anymore. For staying on stand, comfortably, when it is COLD, there is nothing better IMO. It's worth the price when you really need it. I killed a doe several years ago while wearing it. I'd climbed in the tree at 6 am, shot her about 5 pm. It was -6 when I climbed up, 17 when I climbed down. No way I could have stuck it out for 11 hours in those temps without the HBS.

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
I have a HBS. I rarely use it, haven't used it this season, but I hardly ever hunt more than two or three hours at a time anymore. For staying on stand, comfortably, when it is COLD, there is nothing better IMO. It's worth the price when you really need it. I killed a doe several years ago while wearing it. I'd climbed in the tree at 6 am, shot her about 5 pm. It was -6 when I climbed up, 17 when I climbed down. No way I could have stuck it out for 11 hours in those temps without the HBS.

During that all day sit how much did you have under the body suit? If I'm going to buy one these I'd like to think all I'd have to hike in with for an outer layer is the body suit. I'm hoping 2 base layers with pants and a turtleneck would be enough under the body suit. That's what I usually wear walking in and I pack in my outerwear.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
That day it was so cold I wore insulated bibs and coat along with underclothes. It was horrible, but once I put the suit on and settled in it was somewhat cozy. The biggest downfall w the HBS; trying to stay awake. I get so warm and comfy I just want to sleep. The first time I used it was a bitter cold day. I'd worked all night and couldn't stay awake. My wife kept calling because she was afraid I was napping due to hypothermia. It tokk me a while to convince her I was plenty warm and just catching up on rest!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Sounds warmer than the Warmbag. I generally dress as if I am not going to use it. If I need to use it, it is in the tree with me.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Brocks posts have really made me consider a Heater body suit! Or maybe Ill just build more box blinds with propane heaters! hahaha

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Brocks posts have really made me consider a Heater body suit! Or maybe Ill just build more box blinds with propane heaters! hahaha

Me to. I've been using a 45 yr. old sleeping bag spread over me ever since I built my 1st tower. With my health issues I can't take the cold.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I just can't get over the idea of being inside something when I'm trying to kill something that can easily catch me off guard. Not to mention if I'm in that thing and sit down in the Millennium, it could get kind of sketchy getting up! I've contemplated one of these for years, but can't convince myself it is worth the money...

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
I just can't get over the idea of being inside something when I'm trying to kill something that can easily catch me off guard. Not to mention if I'm in that thing and sit down in the Millennium, it could get kind of sketchy getting up! I've contemplated one of these for years, but can't convince myself it is worth the money...

I know exactly what your saying. With shipping a new HBS costs almost $400!. I do agree that after reading Brock's posts I would pay the extra $100 to get the HBS over the Warmbag. Usually from mid-Novbember on here the temps do not get above 32 very often. Plus we've already had some days where the temps start out near 0 and don't get above 20. It may make sense more for me in this climate to have one than it does for you guys in Ohio. Than again your deer season goes in to February so who knows. Bottom line is I hate being cold in a tree but I still don't know if I can justify the expense. Maybe Santa will bring me one.:smiley_bril:

Gordo

Athens County

It's gonna b a big old 'gordo ball' up in the tree. lol. I'll keep ya posted how it works out

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I tried mine once using the climber, & things were tight. But that's with a bar around me. As much as I hate getting in & out of mine, you're a warm happy camper inside. With the heavy duty zipper of the HBS, it's very easy to be prepared when mr big comes. Of course, seeing him first AND him not seeing you can be a different story. Just the same, inside a blind there's no issues.

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
I tried mine once using the climber, & things were tight. But that's with a bar around me. As much as I hate getting in & out of mine, you're a warm happy camper inside. With the heavy duty zipper of the HBS, it's very easy to be prepared when mr big comes. Of course, seeing him first AND him not seeing you can be a different story. Just the same, inside a blind there's no issues.

What do you have for a climber? I use my climbers a lot and I'm concerned how tight it might be with one of these suits on. Both my climbers are Summit Goliaths.

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I only tried it once with the climber which was years ago. My climber is the Equalizer. On another note, I have used my boot blankets as well while in the climber & that wasn't too good of an idea either. Too noisy & bulky when moving your feet.