Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Just back from the range

OK I took a freind to the gun range this afternoon
Both of us wanted to do a final check of our slug guns

I took a pain pill before hand to deal with the headacke that was bound to come from the noise

OK he fired 5 slugs
50 , 100 and 150 yds
I did the same , with with the final 3 shots at 150 yds

As I wanted to double check the new Leupold 2-7 x 33 shotgun scope
Hasting barrel and Lightfeild slugs in the Remington 11-87

I got a 4-5", 3 shot group at 150 yds

But what blew my mind were other some people

As the group next to us felt 6-8" groups at 50 yds were more than good enough

I know a lot of deer are shot at close range
But WTF , are people thinking

As those same fools that think a 6-8" group at 50 yds , off a bench is OK
Will be the same fools blasting away at a deer 100+ yds out

Only to wound it , never look for it

Then say they missed , blaming the gun or slugs as junk

John

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Its sad the standards that some people will accept in an attempt to harvest a deer.
I would be freaking w/ 6-8" at 50 yards... That's pathetic.

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Thanks John. I feel better. I plan on shooting again before I head out. I had time to put 2 200gr shockwaves down range. Fired 2 300gr shockwaves with better results. Adjusted my scope and fired 2 more. Cleaned muzzle loader and fired one more. 300gr sabots were in a 3" group. I was shooting at 100yds. I would like to tighten it up, but didn't have much time to mess yesterday. I decided I would limit myself to 125yd or closer shots until I had time to shoot some more. Before I read your post, I thought I was being too picky. 2-3-4" group at 100yds seems respectable now. Sometimes I need to remind myself I am shooting an inline muzzle loader, not a hand built target rifle. lmao

teej89

NE PA
My BIL got to borrow a gun this fall and we went to shoot it in Friday and at a 50 lane range we had to wait IN LINE to shoot. Couldn't tell you how many times I heard, man How is it so far off from last year lol

The group beside us went straight to the hundred yard lane and after the first round of 6 shots they missed the paper and didn't know where they were hitting so they taped a bunch of papers up and shot again. Still no dice. Now I got curious and pretending like I was watching my BIL I was looking at where they were hitting. I saw where dirt was getting kicked up and they were about 18" low and 12" right. I tapped the guy on the shoulder and explained to him I was watching and told him to aim top left and AYE-OO he hit the paper hahahaha!

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Thanks John. I feel better. I plan on shooting again before I head out. I had time to put 2 200gr shockwaves down range. Fired 2 300gr shockwaves with better results. Adjusted my scope and fired 2 more. Cleaned muzzle loader and fired one more. 300gr sabots were in a 3" group. I was shooting at 100yds. I would like to tighten it up, but didn't have much time to mess yesterday. I decided I would limit myself to 125yd or closer shots until I had time to shoot some more. Before I read your post, I thought I was being too picky. 2-3-4" group at 100yds seems respectable now. Sometimes I need to remind myself I am shooting an inline muzzle loader, not a hand built target rifle. lmao

Nice groups Phil.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gun sales, slug sales, "hot seat" and hand warmer sales, plastic orange vest sales, jersey glove sales, and deer tags on Sunday evening; as much a tradition as gun season itself! I remember as a kid going to church on Sunday evening and hearina a man say he had been to three stores trying to buy a tag, they were all sold out! The minister was showing some of the men his freshly sharpened hunting knife as he told the man he shouldn't be doing business on Sunday anyway. :)

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I feel better. Bought some 250gr TC Shockwaves. Fired them. Decided I liked the 300gr better. Dialed in 1" high at 100yds. Went as far back as I could. Fired 2 more at 180yds. Within an inch left/right. 2" high at 180yds on the first dot down of my BDC reticle. Need to go print off the balistics chart for my scope, bullet, and powder combination. Feels really good knowing I am in a pop can at 200yds and under. I killed a deer really far away once. She was 68yds away. I might get a 70yds shot tomorrow. ahaha

Sub-standard shooting coupled with sub-standard groups at short range is just plain lazy on the hunter's/shooter's part. However, I've seen it for years in the waterfowl world, too. You'd be shocked at how many people that DON'T pattern their shotguns with the ammo and choke tube combinations they use. In either case, it doesn't seem to stop them from blasting away at the critters they're hunting. :smiley_armscrossed:

Anyway... I shot my Mossberg 500 that has a cantilever rifled barrel and a Simmons 3x9, yesterday. It loves 2 3/4" Hornady 300gr. ammo...1" groups at 50 yards, sighted in 2" high at 50 yards and dead on at 100 yards. This will be my brother's weapon for the deer gun season.

I'll be carrying a Ruger Super Redhawk 44 Mag. 9 1/2" barrel with a red dot sight, shooting a 240gr. Hard Cast SWC. It's dead on at 50 yards and 1" groups. I've never killed a deer with a handgun, so IF I get one this year, it will be my first. I can't wait!!! :smiley_asswhip:

Bowhunter57

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1385944515.514000.jpg

That was 50 yards (the diamond upper right) first shot a little left second and third shot were cutting each other.... That was out of my savage 220.... The other rounds were from my glenfield model 60 @ 25 yards.... Bottom left taking my time....

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1385944765.205627.jpg

Bottom right rapid fire lol...,,

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
BH57- You guys don't see any deer give me a call or text. I will put you up in the tree house. We don't always have deer, but this area gets driven hard. No telling where deer will come in from. I know there have been some good ones killed which wandered off of a farm roughly a mile west of me. Disclaimer: I don't drive deer. I have just under 8 acres. Nothing to drive.

Good shooting Jay! My buddy dialed in his new 220 tonight at my place. It was impressive as well. Bullets touching at 180yds. Wow!