Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Short Tined Ten

themedic

OHIO
Summer Scouting
Around mid August, I videoed a nice buck in an alfalfa field near my home. The buck was wide and heavy but lacked tine length. I guessed the buck in the high 150's and labeled him a shooter. Being the buck was in an area I had trouble accessing, I never made it back to glass that alfalfa field again or even run a trail camera. Since then, I have not seen the buck but knew he was in the area and wondered if he ever filled out his tine length.

Fast forward to this week
Cold temperatures, the rut winding down and my wife soon expecting all equals hard and limited opportunity. I decided to drop a corn pile and see what showed up. Low and behold, the first card pull reveled a familiar face!
At first glance I said "Ohhh yeah, that’s a shooter"! But after closer inspection, I believe this deer could use another year. I will admit that I have never passed a deer of this size (AND I’M NOT SAYING I WILL PASS THIS DEER IF GIVEN THE OPPORTUNITY THIS YEAR) but I believe that passing a deer of this caliber could pay huge dividends. This buck, which I am calling the Short Tined Ten, reminds me very much of a buck a good friend of mine was hunting last year.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
He's nice. I don't see 150", and I've never seen a short-tined buck develop much tine length over the years. Personally, I think that's a genetic thing that no amount of time will fix. You buddy's deer does show they can improve however. If he tickles your fancy, shoot him. He's a nice one in anyone's book!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I think he is in the 150's all day long

Oh Corey. 150's all day long? How did you get your wife pregnant telling her that was 6"? hahahaha

Just had to tease you man. I came up with 140" but I am terrible at the score guessing game. Mass and main beam length can be tough for me to judge. I gave 15" mass per side and this is probably low. I offered 24" on main beams though.

themedic

OHIO
Oh Corey. 150's all day long? How did you get your wife pregnant telling her that was 6"? hahahaha

Just had to tease you man. I came up with 140" but I am terrible at the score guessing game. Mass and main beam length can be tough for me to judge. I gave 15" mass per side and this is probably low. I offered 24" on main beams though.

I never even ran numbers on him....just eyeballed it and wanted to say ALL DAY LONG hahahahah