Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Thirty Minutes After Sunset For Gun Season

Will this make any difference? I think this was the most broken rule during gun season anyways. I'm thinking the state figures this will offset the loss on the additional gun weekend. With snow on it could make a big difference the first couple of days. I see the herd being decimated pretty well Monday and Tuesday.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I've had numerous chances at deer during gun seasons that if we had bow season hours I could of filled a tag..... No wall hangers but still meat in the freezer....

First youth gun season my son had a doe broadside at 40 yards and it was after shooting by 5 or so minutes.... He said we could of shot it and I told him what you think DNR officials don't have watches.... lol..... You shoot a gun off after legal shooting time you might as well raise your hands in the air and yell out I did it.....

I know it's done a lot across the state and every time someone does it dozens can hear it.....

So yes it has the potential too raise the numbers some.... How much???? We'll see after the season.... Be nice too have the check in during gun season ask a specific question.... Was the harvest during the extended hour half rule for this year.....

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I've always heard a lot of gunfire after sunset in my area. But I always thought it was just guys unloading their guns after a no deer hunt. Right? LOL.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
This snow is going to be the one thing that will decimate the herd. I'm sure people will be shooting way past sunset cause its so easy to see.

I have mixed thoughts on this one.
* On one hand, the lower light levels were the reason for the hunting hours ending at sunset, thus there were safety reasons in mind for other hunters...as well as wounding losses.
* On the other hand, the half hour before sunset to the half hour after sunset is and has been known as the "golden hour" of hunting, due to it being the highest time of deer movement. This works as much as it does for sunrise times too, thus hunting success is greatly improved.

All things being equal, I see this as a good thing.
Bowhunter57

runhunter

I think it's a terrible rule. Ohio is pretty spot on with their regs too, but this is as bad as it gets. If safety is the reason for this, then it must be an old reg that just hasn't been looked at. The large majority, if not all, allow 1/2 before to 1/2 after. For the state to force guys to pack up and leave during prime time is terrible. Most hunting accidents are self inflicted and not sure why this hasn't been changed

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Well then I'm a jerkoff. Ask and ye shall receive eh??

In regards to safety, I believe studies from other states showing minimal accidents were a direct result of extended hunting hours had a role in the decision. Read it somewhere, but don't remember where. Personally, I think it is because the ODNR simply wants more deer dead. Either way, I will take it.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
The same group pushing for the pistol caliber carbines pushed this item as well.
1. Bowhunters had those hours so why make it different and confusing for gun and muzzleloading hunters.
2. The neighboring states that do allow the half hour after dint have any different volume of accidents compared to us when this was not the law.
3. From a safety perspective the half hour before sunrise is just as dark as the half hour after so why allow one and not the other?

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Too put things into perspective.... You almost have the same situation in the mornings just reversed.....

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
The same group pushing for the pistol caliber carbines pushed this item as well.
1. Bowhunters had those hours so why make it different and confusing for gun and muzzleloading hunters.
2. The neighboring states that do allow the half hour after dint have any different volume of accidents compared to us when this was not the law.
3. From a safety perspective the half hour before sunrise is just as dark as the half hour after so why allow one and not the other?

Well said. And as others have stated, no one followed that rule anyways. At least not around here from the sounds of it!

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
bowhunters arent shooting at targets 100+ yards away in low light.

I think it will have some sort of an impact. But not as much as the dnr would like. As others have said, it has been happening anyway. The dnr knows the herd is smaller. they threw the bowhunters a bone by eliminating the bonus weekend, but still want more dead deer. So the gunhunters got the extra prime half hour.

Bottom line is, if the deer arent there, there isnt anything to shoot at anyway, regardless of what you are shooting with. So far this season, I havent bumped a single deer walking in or out of my stand in the dark. not a single one. The deer that are still around (which there rent many) dont move until dark unless they have to.

This time next week, you'll be hearing the sob stories from the gunhunters about no deer, just like you have been hearing from the bowhunters all year.