Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Out of state hunters

deerskin88

I'm in from Texas. I'm in the military and was raised in coshocton. I know 5 Years ago we started lossing hunting land to out of state hunters. What do y'all think. I for one hate that land that I hunted and worked on since I was little was taken. I understand that farms like myself need the money but really. It seems to me that the money is not worth the mess and disrespect that Most out of state hunters leave behind. What's y'all's thought.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
In my opinion, it does suck that people come in and lease up land that we've hunted for years, but that is just all a part of the game. In reality, as long as they are following the rules and hunting ethically, we have to accept them just like anyone else. It used to burn my ass to no end, guess i'm mellowing old as I get older.

I do feel that our NR tags are dirt cheap, which could be contributing to the amount of NR's coming here to lease land instead of going elsewhere.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Quite the first post to dive head long in to one of the most hotly debated topics on hunting forums all over the country...

I have no issues with out of state hunters coming to Ohio. My issue is with how our DNR values our resources to folks who do not live here or pay taxes here. My opinion is that we should have reciprocity with other states, exceptions being PA and WV. I'd like to see a minimum fee insituted ($200-250 for a NR license and $50 for an either sex tag, with an additional tag being $25 and NR can only purchase 2 tags) and then reciprocity for any amount over that. This values things properly for inferior whitetail states like WV and PA, but keeps the playing field level with Iowa, Illinois, etc. I would like to see the extra money go to purchasing more state land, outdoor education, and wildlife preservation.

Leasing from out of states hunters sucks. But they have every right to enjoy the same pursuits as those of us who live here. I'd don't fault someone from outside of our borders for wanting to come here and hunt. I live 5 minutes from WV and if it were the other way around, I'd be one of those "damn" out of state hunters. So it is not the people I have a problem with, it is the undervalued resources they come to capitalize on that I have an issue with...

Lundy

I for one hate that land that I hunted and worked on since I was little was taken. .............. It seems to me that the money is not worth the mess and disrespect that Most out of state hunters leave behind. What's y'all's thought.

You are having land TAKEN from you but you don't own the land. The landowner gets to decide what he does with his property

Hunters displaying a lack of respect is not exclusive to non residents and in many many instances I think residents show much less respect that non residents.

Last edited:

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Quite the first post to dive head long in to one of the most hotly debated topics on hunting forums all over the country...

I have no issues with out of state hunters coming to Ohio. My issue is with how our DNR values our resources to folks who do not live here or pay taxes here. My opinion is that we should have reciprocity with other states, exceptions being PA and WV. I'd like to see a minimum fee insituted ($200-250 for a NR license and $50 for an either sex tag, with an additional tag being $25 and NR can only purchase 2 tags) and then reciprocity for any amount over that. This values things properly for inferior whitetail states like WV and PA, but keeps the playing field level with Iowa, Illinois, etc. I would like to see the extra money go to purchasing more state land, outdoor education, and wildlife preservation.

Leasing from out of states hunters sucks. But they have every right to enjoy the same pursuits as those of us who live here. I'd don't fault someone from outside of our borders for wanting to come here and hunt. I live 5 minutes from WV and if it were the other way around, I'd be one of those "damn" out of state hunters. So it is not the people I have a problem with, it is the undervalued resources they come to capitalize on that I have an issue with...

Well said, Jesse.

I'm in from Texas. I'm in the military and was raised in coshocton. I know 5 Years ago we started lossing hunting land to out of state hunters. What do y'all think. I for one hate that land that I hunted and worked on since I was little was taken. I understand that farms like myself need the money but really. It seems to me that the money is not worth the mess and disrespect that Most out of state hunters leave behind. What's y'all's thought.

Welcome! I guess I am confused here, you no longer live in Ohio (yes I understand you are in the military and thank you for your service) yet you feel land that was not owned by you was taken from you because of an out of stater leasing the land? Hard to say but maybe some of those out of state hunters used to live in Ohio or have relation there or are like you and are in the military, does that change things in your mind? I can understand the frustration at losing land to hunt on but it's hard to understand the blanket statement that most out of state hunters are disrespectful and leave a mess. Maybe in your situation the people are disrespecting dirtballs but I'd venture to say that a lot of them that do come to Ohio are quite the opposite. Nothing is guaranteed to be yours to use unless you own it and that goes for people who lease. Well, that's not entirely true....if you don't pay your taxes it can be taken from you too but I hope you understand the whole country is this way and if you want to keep something from being taken you need to find a way to own it. Up here in Michigan there are all kinds of farms that are being leased, some by out of state hunters and some by in-state hunters. It's unfortunately a sign of the times.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
One answer too your problem.... Lease some land.... Nothing against you but if you had a good working relationship with the owner he'd of never cut you off from hunting it ... The only property I've ever lost permission from due too leasing is where I'd only had a casual relationship..... And that was only one so far....

As far as out of state hunters they pony up quite a bit of money too come here may not be in license fees but food lodging gas, all that stuff adds up.... What's it cost you too drive home on leave? Then if you're not lucky enough too have a place too stay with family or friends?

What branch you in?

rzylkie

I happen to be an out of state hunter and I have permission from a landowner. I have leased before in ohio and I will tell you that resident hunters are way more likely to break the rules or stretch them we will say than out of state hunters. If you think I am wrong do your research and see which gets charged more with wildlife violations regarding deer. I can tell you that I experienced on my lease trespassing, pouching and leaving the animals. I did contact wildlife officers and they did what they could but that wasn't much. The sad part is I know it was done by local people who more than likely used to just hunt the elderly couples property with out them even knowing it and this was there way of trying to discourage hunters from leasing the property. So before you bash or categorize all out of state hunters know what your talking about. the property I hunt now same thing I have gotten pic on my trail camera of people trespassing and found evidence of them using my stands and have had 1 camera stolen and I know they would have taken the others but I could tell in pic that they didn't see the camera. the landowner lives about thirty min.from the property and when we went to look at the property for him to show me the property lines he couldn't believe the four wheeler trails running thru his property and you could see they came straight from the neighboring property and it's not leased property it's the landowners family who hunts the property but I didn't say anything to him or the person I hunt on about it because of people the view things like you I would be the trouble maker more than likely. I am very appreciative of the land owner and I do my best to take care of his property and I don't trespass on any other property. Also I spend a lot of money each year in lodging, gas,and food in ohio. Thanks for your service and what you do to make my freedom possible to hunt in ohio. No hard feelings I hope.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I don't want to stoke this fire. I will simply say: There are dirtbag hunters everywhere. Some live in the state and some come from out of the state. ANY dirtbag hunter gives all of us a bad name.

There have been some broad strokes of the brush in this thread. Hard to lump everyone together, so I won't.

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
I understand that farms like myself need the money but really. It seems to me that the money is not worth the mess and disrespect that Most out of state hunters leave behind.

That's quite a blanket statement to make. I assume every time in your life you've encountered litter in your hunting area or have seen unlawful acts it has always been a non-resident. Frankly that is an ignorant and self-serving statement. If you are upset about losing a hunting spot than as I see it you have three choices. 1. Knock on doors and hope you can gain permission. 2. Hunt public land. I know for a fact there is a ton of public land options in your area. 3. Buy your own land. For most of us this is not an option but most of us don't try to to tell landowners what they can and can't do with their own property. I am a non-resident who has hunted Ohio for the last 3 years. I do not lease land but I don't begrudge those that do. If you can afford it more power to you. I also don't begrudge the farmer who leases his land. He owes it to himself and his family to make as much money off the land as possible. Whether that's through raising cattle, growing crops or leasing the land it's his choice. That's what the farming business is about. Farming can be a tough way to make a living and every penny counts. My buddy and I have knocked on a few doors and have yet to get the yes we are looking for. Once again I don't hold that against anyone. We have hunted public land and have enjoyed it. I have also met many non-residents while hunting those lands and all have been respectful, quality, law abiding hunters. I've met many residents as well and the same can be said about them. Bottom line is hunters, as with every other group of people in this country, will have a few bad apples. Whether those bad apples are residents or non-residents is irrelevant. I love hunting in your great state and am already planning my 2 week trip for next year. Hopefully our paths don't cross because I'd hate to have to call ALL resident hunters bad apples because of a bad experience with someone like you.