Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

should i or shouldn't i

yotehunter

spencerville oh
I got home from work and drove around the block too ckeck my canine traps and the were empty. But what I did see was the niehbor shelling corn. So come home smoke up and in the stand by 415. As I watch the combine to my north I hear leaves russle behind me in the woods. I see a yearling standing 45 yards from me. I watch it and I see it has a bum left front leg. It feeds up to me at 20 yards and see it was a button buck. And then I see the left front leg was broke at the knee. So do I or don't I. Then I thought its either the coyotes get him down or I feed the family. So at ten yards I sent one through him. He went 25yrds and it was over. Man I hated shooting a future trophy but I don't believe he would have made it that long. So I hope I done the right thing. But only the deer gods will know, lol:smiley_chinrub:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Good call in my opinion. I am pretty sure he was going to be a dink when he grew up. There. Does that make you feel better? lmao

LonewolfNopack

The woods
It's the only call IMO. I had to shoot a small 7 point in 2011 because it was wounded and couldn't hardly walk. I tagged it in and ended my season. It was my responsibility, as it is every hunters to end an animals suffering.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
Yes Phil it does. Lol. Got to it and it looked like a youth mis fortune it was shot this past weekend. I thought maybe my daughter, but the hole is the size of a 410. And I watched both deer run off and checked and double checked for blood. But I'm sure both of hers was a clean miss. Lol but yea I felt I done the right thing.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Good move on your part..... I'd of done the same thing.... Just like the majority on here would of....

epe

Lancaster
Good job man! Probably not the easiest thing to do, but what you did was alot more humane than if the yotes caught up with him...

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
There's a doe running around the land owners house with a busted front leg (it's been like that for 2 years) and now she has a crossbow bolt in her back hip. If I see her there's no doubt I'll put her down. She just looks miserable. I saw her for the first time yesterday as I was driving out. She was in the neighbors front yard trying to keep up with 3 other doe. Sad sight.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
There's a doe running around the land owners house with a busted front leg (it's been like that for 2 years) and now she has a crossbow bolt in her back hip. If I see her there's no doubt I'll put her down. She just looks miserable. I saw her for the first time yesterday as I was driving out. She was in the neighbors front yard trying to keep up with 3 other doe. Sad sight.

That's terrible.

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Great job on the button!!!! I got one last year that had four good legs!!!! That sucks about that doe!!! I'd be putting her down for sure!!! Bow,22mag something.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Think of it as saving a doe and doing your part to NOT demise the herd to even lower numbers. I still say you did the right thing.