Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Deer all over the place...

toke2

Took some firewood down to the cabin ( Belmont County ) the drive down from Akron was snowing the whole time and saw at least 10 deer out in the fields - at LUNCH TIME. I'm thinking the storm / front / snow had them motivated. Have never seen so many deer in the middle of the day before.... Anyone else seeing this kind of movement today? Should bode well for a final bow hunt this weekend followed by bang bang on Monday. Hope to be tagged out before Monday so we can skip the lead shower....

yotehunter

spencerville oh
Yep seen the same thing today. They we're on their feet at one seen several out and about around 1 O'Clock today. I figured the front coming and the weekend pressure because all the deer I seen was in the wide open corn fields there wasn't a woods around for a mile or so . I believe the pressure changes a deer as much as weather.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Seems like only yesterday: That same drive and weather situation you'd of heard toke saying he seen 40 or 50 deer. I know now why the 'Ol Timers used to talk about "The Good 'Ol Days"....... Now that I'm an 'Ol Timer, I do remember when things were better.

Schu72

Streetsboro
We saw the same thing in Belmont during youth season. There were deer out and about everywhere. We have about a 6 mile drive from my Mom's to the farm we hunted and saw double digit numbers of deer on several of the drives to and from.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Sat this evening an didn't see a deer.

Saw 2 but it wasn't until last light. Completely rude deer too. Came in to less than 30 yards but never offered a shot. Then I had to wait an extra 10 minutes to climb down so I didn't blow them out when I left. It's their world, I'm just living in it.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Now that I'm an 'Ol Timer, I do remember when things were better.

I'm 31 and can remember nights when I was 25 driving around on a cool July evening after a rain shower cooled things down and I would routinely see 20-30 deer in a 45 minutes drive. In the winter when there was snow on, I could spend an hour driving back roads and seeing 50-60 deer was nothing. The first cold weather hunt on our farm was in January of 2006. I saw 13 deer in a single file line that night. You can't find 13 deer on the farm or the neighboring farms put together at times. The habitat has been improved with additional cover and food, yet far less deer. We drove for two hours the other day (11-1) during the "rut" and did not see a deer. All rural back roads. We have absolutely annihilated the deer here in Washington County in the vast majority of the county. We're the largest landmass county in Ohio, with more room to roam in regards to habitat than nearly every county in the state, yet our deer herd is in the shitter.

So you don't have to be an "old timer" to miss the good old days because they weren't that long ago. This was accomplished in fairly short order...

DeadOn

Good point 1023. It's easy to see that things have changed throughout the state very rapidly. It definitely makes getting and keeping places to hunt all that more important and having proper management plans whenever it is possible. Even so it is a difficult task.

I hope it is not a trend that is to continue for long.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
91' I was hunting in Athens the last weekend of gun season and while walking we counted 45 deer that day. It was the craziest thing I have ever seen until this day.

The most I have ever seen in this county at one time while out and about is 15 crossing a county road. I have a trail cam pic of 27-28 but that was a hard winter and deep snow and I think that was every deer in the southern part of the county lol.

Since the beginning of October I have not seen many deer while driving for work out in the fields and I have covered some serious ground and some great deer habitat too.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Used to kill time driving from Lima to Columbus by counting deer. 50-60 was a slow day. Used to see 100 or even 200 often times. Now we are lucky to see 10. The DNR isn't fooling me. Even my non hunting parents have questioned why they don't see deer while driving anymore.

Schu72

Streetsboro
On the gun opener in 2003 I saw over 50 deer before lunch ...from my treestand. There was one point when I had over 20 in gun range at the same time ( not a buck in the group).

yotehunter

spencerville oh
I'm 31 and can remember nights when I was 25 driving around on a cool July evening after a rain shower cooled things down and I would routinely see 20-30 deer in a 45 minutes drive. In the winter when there was snow on, I could spend an hour driving back roads and seeing 50-60 deer was nothing. The first cold weather hunt on our farm was in January of 2006. I saw 13 deer in a single file line that night. You can't find 13 deer on the farm or the neighboring farms put together at times. The habitat has been improved with additional cover and food, yet far less deer. We drove for two hours the other day (11-1) during the "rut" and did not see a deer. All rural back roads. We have absolutely annihilated the deer here in Washington County in the vast majority of the county. We're the largest landmass county in Ohio, with more room to roam in regards to habitat than nearly every county in the state, yet our deer herd is in the shitter.

So you don't have to be an "old timer" to miss the good old days because they weren't that long ago. This was accomplished in fairly short order...

I hear ya x2 it wasn't that long ago