Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

300 Black OP

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I started a new project for a re-manufacturing ammo company of developing a load for the 300 Black OP round. It's the same as the 300 Whisper but .015 longer. It's based on a .221 fireball case necked up to 30 caliber.
I'm trimming a 223 Military case down in 2 stages to the proper length. Then I had to develop a load with a 125 gr. SST Hornaday bullet.
Once I have that in production they want a 220 gr. sub-sonic round.
Good thing is I have 2 converted Dillon 1050 presses with a motor attachment so I don't have to pull the handle each time. As with any automatic press it's a problem solver. Mishaps happen and you must figure out the problem and make corrections.

It's going to be a interesting year. I really enjoy putting my reloading knowledge to work. Hey and the extra money sure makes it more fun.

Last edited:
I have a AR upper in 300 BlackOP

So far I have been playing with 200+ gr cast bullets

One day hope to get a supperessor for it
It makes another nice choice for the AR platform

John

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
It seems like a fun round. I'll have use of their rifles. Now get on the list to have access to their supperessed rifles. I've been putting off getting a 22 centerfire supperessor to use on a rimfire and centerfire. Looks like made the correct decision. Full auto doesn't really interest me as I guess I'm to cheap to burn the ammo up.
I'll take a picture of the process.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
What the difference between the 300 blackout, whisper and the black OP?

The 300 Black OP is .015 longer than the 300 Whisper. The 300 Whisper can be shot in the 300 Black OP but not the other way around.
Other than that I don't know anything as I just do what's asked of me. LOL.

What's the purpose of the 300 Whisper, 300 Black Op and 300 Blackout?

All 3 seem to have the same ballistics, which are much slower than the standard .308 Winchester cartridge. If I were going to spend a grand or more on another AR, I'd opt for the .308 or at least a .243 chambering.

Bowhunter57

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio

All 3 seem to have the same ballistics, which are much slower than the standard .308 Winchester cartridge. If I were going to spend a grand or more on another AR, I'd opt for the .308 or at least a .243 chambering.

Bowhunter57

I believe the 300 Whisper was developed by JD Jones from SSK for a sub-sonic round for Military Special OP's. Basicly it's just a 30 Carbine round with a heavy bullet.
Another reason for development is it uses a 223 case head so the AR bolt doesn't need to be changed or a new bolt designed. Just pull 2 pins and drop on a new upper with a new round design.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH

Bowhunter57

The main purpose of the round is for suppression and to have a round that has heavier projectiles but can still use a standard lower. Most want compatibility/modularity.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Well I finally did it and got the 300 Blackout into production for them. What I thought was going to be a easy couple day process turned into a 3 week part time ordeal. Had to completely revise their original process system and make equipment modifications. But the finished quality is 2nd to none.
Now on to the next project.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I got a excellent 300 Blackout sub-sonic loaded developed with a 208 gr. Hornaday bullet. They got orders for all I can produce. Going to be a interesting year. Saving up for a Africa plains animal trip in maybe 2 yrs.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I got a excellent 300 Blackout sub-sonic loaded developed with a 208 gr. Hornaday bullet. They got orders for all I can produce. Going to be a interesting year. Saving up for a Africa plains animal trip in maybe 2 yrs.

That's sweet man. Good stuff.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County

Who do you design rounds for?

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
I have a LH Daly mini Mauser action siting in the safe. Been looking for the "right" cartridge to build something special. I'll have to think about this one.

Can you fire a Whisper in a rifle chambered for the Black OP? What is the oal of the Black OP with the 200+ grain bullets?

Last edited:

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I have a LH Daly mini Mauser action siting in the safe. Been looking for the "right" cartridge to build something special. I'll have to think about this one.

Can you fire a Whisper in a rifle chambered for the Black OP? What is the oal of the Black OP with the 200+ grain bullets?
The OAL loaded length has to be shorter than the AR magazine. I load .020 below max OAL. Yes a 300 Whisper can be fired in a 300 Blackout rifle but not the other way around. The 300 Blackout case is .015 longer than the 300 Whisper.

I can't disclose the company's name as they plan to release the new rounds at the Shot Show in Vegas next month.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Pretty sweet stuff! So far over my head I can't quite grasp it but I can think "Whoa. That is cool!"

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Pretty sweet stuff! So far over my head I can't quite grasp it but I can think "Whoa. That is cool!"

If I had you setting beside me I could have you producing the same thing. With a ever watching eye of course. Just takes the know how.

The owner is bringing his new SBR (short barreled rifle) 300 BO over for a test run on the sub-sonic rounds. Then into full production.

Last edited: