Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Question about which gun to get.

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
Ok guys, I havea 300-350 range budget. I was looking at the Smith & Wesson SDVE 40 with the 4" barrel, or the Walther PK380. There is also the Smith & Wesson Bodygaurd 380. I want to use this as a Conceal Carry gun so I will be carrying it all the time. Which is a more reliable, more comfortable gun. The SDVE looks to be a "full size" pistol.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
The Smith has the worst trigger in the industry. They used to fix them if you called and complained. The PK has had some issues also.

I would recommend looking at the stoegers, Kahr, Ruger and KEltec before the others mentioned. I would also recommend saving another $50 and try the Springfield essentials package that runs $399.

Huckleberry Finn

I'd go BodyGuard or Shield.

Stay away from the Walther.

Beener, I love my Stoeger but would have to look at the shorter size they have. Way too big to CCW IMO, but a hell of a value for a full sized 9.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I'd go BodyGuard or Shield.

Stay away from the Walther.

Beener, I love my Stoeger but would have to look at the shorter size they have. Way too big to CCW IMO, but a hell of a value for a full sized 9.

Thought they had a similar sized one to the Beretta Nano (which would also be in my running). Maybe it hasn't came out yet?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Ruger LC9 actually impressed me. I was looking at some Sigs and held the Ruger. Good bang for the buck in my opinion. Disclaimer: Have yet to fire one. Feel in my hand and trigger were respectable in my opinion. Everyone has different opinions, desires, and needs though. I would recommend shooting as many as you can. I think spending another $50-100 now is still cheaper than later realizing you don't like the gun you purchased for $300 and spending an additional $400 or more later.

Huckleberry Finn

Thought they had a similar sized one to the Beretta Nano (which would also be in my running). Maybe it hasn't came out yet?

I meant that I've never seen one:

Cougar Compact 9mm
13+1
3.6 " barrel
32 oz
4.9 by 1.5 h/w
7" overall

...which puts it a sliver away from the PX4 Compact and a spitting image. Your Nano has a 3" barrel as well but is a single stack width of .9

I should find a Cougar Compact to carry...that's a great idea and would take the same mags.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Just looked up that Taurus. Nice looking gun. I'll have to get ahold of that one. Anyone have a kahr cm?

Not a Taurus fan myself. Owned one once. Had issues. Joe swears by his although I am thinking he is liking his S&W 642 as well. I have one of these I like to carry. 642 is small, light, and surprisingly accurate for a $400 package. Trigger pull is a mile long but for a pure self defense carry piece I don't think this would be an issue.

I don't have a CM, but I do carry a Kahr CW often. I have good sized paws. I have no issues with it. It tucks away extremely nicely. Milo and Beener are big fans of them I know. Beener turned me onto them and I have been fairly impressed. Only issue I have is the magazine release button is often depressed in my crossbreed holster. I need to be careful when pulling it out to ensure the magazine is in place.

Hope this helps some.

rgecko23,
If you don't have to have a semi-auto or a high capacity magazine, take a look at some 38 or 357 snubbies. They're easy to conceal, comfortable to carry and extremely reliable. A few reasonably priced brands would be Taurus, Charter Arms, EAA and Rossi.

I have a Smith & Wesson 9c M&P that I love, but the Taurus P85 in SS is a 5 shot 38spl. and it gets carried all the time due to comfort and ease of concealment.

When it comes to CCW weapons, you're going to find that choices vary...greatly, from calibers to actions to brands. As much as the choices of how they get carried. Good luck!

Bowhunter57

Bowhunter57

I liked the the SD-VE before they went up in price..My buddy has a 9mm version an paid 270-ish out the door for his..It has a different and spring kit in it,and the reset,pre-travel,over-travel an trigger weight are all acceptable..Its been very reliable for him but he had to sink like 70$ into the upgrades..I am NOT of the triggers on any of the striker fired smiths.

I like Glock's :smiley_arrogant:and and would find a used one or save for a new one,but they are not very popular on this forum for some reason:smiley_confused_schb:.I find them a excellent and highly reliable weapon that I fully trust to keep me an my family safe..

As Beentown mentioned a Springfield XD at 400$,thats not a bad route either...But its no Glockmischeif.gif ..