Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

almost got it done

yotehunter

spencerville oh
I had my daughter out tonight for the youth hunt. We hunted a little thicket that hasn't had much pressure this year but it is hit or miss spot. We settled in at 415 after sounding like a freight train coming through the woods too the stand lol. I let things settle down and hit the true talker and can. Five minutes later a hear a squirrel start barking and leaves crunching and heading our way. And then I see a doe coming so I tell Karly to get the muzzleloader up on the rest and get ready. The doe stops at 35 yards behind a briar patch and I was getting ready too tell her to wait and kaboom the smoke pole went off . The doe jumps two jumps and stops. So there we sit trying to reload as she stands there and finally walked off. So we talked about what happened for a minute and then she taps my knee and sez dad there is something moving the corn downwind and behind us and sure enough there was another doe coming into the thicket at 50 yards to our east it got wind of us and couldn't figure out the smoke and stood there for what seemed like eternity, but Karly couldn't get down on the scope at that point so I told her to relax and let her keep coming, finally she made a couple of steps and I asked Karly if she was on her and she said yes so I said shoot. After the smoke cleared it was obvious she had missed her second chance. And she turned to me and started crying, it broke ol dads heart. But before we left the woods she was smiling ear to ear and couldn't wait to share her hunt with whoever she could. This was defiantly a hunt to remember.:smiley_bril:

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
It's good she had you to turn to when she missed the shot and started crying.
(I'm usually alone when that happens :smiley_cry: )

Seriously, good write up, and it's VERY cool that you get to share that with her.
Next time she won't miss :smiley_coolpeace:

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Oh the highs and lows of hunting with kids lol.... Sounds like a very eventful evening..... Congrats on getting out with your daughter....

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Good for you to get out there with her in these cold conditions. Too bad she couldn't have connected on one of them.