Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Bobcat Rant

I have to add this...but didn't want to take away from the post that "J" put up. :smiley_blink:

This states' DNR has the balance of prey and predators, upside down. And for what? The almighty dollar. The Ohio Insurance Commission or the Farm Bureau throws some cash at them and they spit out more weapon choices, more doe permits, more seasons to kill does, release coyotes, charge more for "fur taker" permits (when a small game license used to cover it all) and now the possibility of a bobcat release. NUTS!!! :smiley_devil:

What do we have for edible prey animals to hunt?
* Whitetails
* Rabbits
* Squirrels
* Waterfowl
* Pheasants (about 1/2 of the state)
* Quail (only 1/3 of the state)
* Doves
* Grouse (a dwindling population)
* Turkey
* Groundhog (another game animal dwindling, due to coyotes)
* Feral Hogs (not as populated as the DNR would have you believe)

What do we have for predators? (Consider how much it takes to feed one of these animals and how many of each species exists.)

* Racoons
* Red Fox
* Grey Fox
* Coyote
* Mink
* Opossum
* Skunk
* Raptors (This list is extensive...hawks, falcons, kestrels, owls and eagles)
* Weasel

Not a listed killer, but well worth mentioning, feral cats.

Consider how many of each of these predators have for young, each year and how much it takes to feed them all. Granted not all of the newborns of either species make it under normal conditions, but the imbalance of predator vs. prey, isn't helping the prey animals continue a decent population for the sportsmen to enjoy. Basically, the predators are eating what we should be eating, but those prey animals never make it to adulthood long enough for that to happen.

Back on topic: NO! We don't need or want any bobcats!
I certainly hope this is only a rumor.

Bowhunter57

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
To bad the majority of the farms in the staye are agricultural. If there was more livestock nased operations the farmers would sing a different tune. Once the prey starts to become scarce the only thing left os stock animals. Let some farmer start losing calves and chickens and see what happens.

dante322 said:
Once the prey starts to become scarce the only thing left os stock animals. Let some farmer start losing calves and chickens and see what happens.
I hear ya, brother and it's already happening! My neighbor is always buggin' me to kill more coyotes and fox, as he lost 19 chickens last year. A sheep rancher in Pickrelltown (southeast of Bellefontaine) has lost several sheep to coyotes and he regularly sets snares, carries a Mini-14 and welcomes coyote hunters.

Bowhunter57

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
I hear ya, brother and it's already happening! My neighbor is always buggin' me to kill more coyotes and fox, as he lost 19 chickens, last year. I sheep rancher in Pickrelltown (southeast of Bellefontaine) has lost several sheep to coyotes and he regularly sets snares, carries a Mini-14 and welcomes coyote hunters.

Bowhunter57

That sounds like a foot in the door to me. "Sure, I'll kill yotes for ya. I would also like permission to hunt deer as well."

epe

Lancaster
I agree on yotes, but I don't seeing bobcats overpopulating... We can't be the only in an ecosystem for it to be healthy....

I agree on yotes, but I don't seeing bobcats overpopulating... We can't be the only in an ecosystem for it to be healthy....

I agree. Bobcats pretty much only eat mouse sized animals and the rare rabbit. They are just more power house cats. I have not seen any gray foxes in southern ohio in years and red foxes are rare as well.

Last edited: