Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Bobcat Release

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Anyone heard any info on the DNR releasing bobcats in eastern Ohio recently?

Supposedly released 50 of them with tracking devices.... Nothing in official release just saw something that was posted by a coyote hunt page on FB..... Eastern Ohio down coyote page.... Not trying too promote it just curious as too the accuracy.....

Last edited:

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I would don't they make a huge announcement out of releasing predators. I remember what happened when they first put musky into alum creek and it was sort if hush hush. Bass fisherman were pissed

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Grouse numbers are down so lets release a bunch of cats into the woods. Sounds like something the DNR would do. I'll bet the big coyote explosion back in the early 90's was a result of the DNR to get the deer numbers down. Sorry to get off topic but i dont know about the DNR anymore!!!

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
True or Not.... I can not prove: But I was told they let the coyotes loose to curb the Turkeys and Deer. Supposedly, they fired a guy once who "Blew the whistle" on the whole operation. Do not doubt they turned the cats loose at all. Nothing we could do about it so why not just tell us?

I don't like how the DNR spends out money on stupid projects like this one...if it's true. I don't doubt it, as it seems to be their mentality, going off of their past history. :smiley_blackeye: Just another blackeye, to the sports and conservation minded Ohioans.

IF it's true, this is just what this state needs is another predator...NOT! Cats are killing machines. There are species of birds that are completely extinct, due to house and feral cats. I never let a cat pass through my section without running a bullet through its' skull and I have more rabbits, squirrels, birds, etc. than there were when I first moved into the area.

I can only imagine the damage that will be done with a larger cat species. If the bobcat species ever make it to this neck of the woods...endangered, protected, etc. the SSS rule will apply. :smiley_dead:

Bowhunter57

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Soon as i heard about the big deer die off down in hocking of ewd the first thing that popped into my head was great now the DNR is useing biological warfare on the deer to get the numbers down. We need a group like michigans MUCC to keep them in check.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I wouldn't doubt that they did. Supposedly someone saw a bobcat not far from my house last month. I just bought a dozen snares from F&T, going to try and get some yotes.

epe

Lancaster
I heard aliens released them. Using them to lure out Bigfoot....:rolleyes: Bobcats have been in Ohio for years...

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Yep , bobcats have been migrating back into Ohio for 10 yrs or more . Personally I think its cool as hell We ain't talking mountain lions here guys . As far as grouse dieing off , it wasn't from predators. Grouse thrive in regrowth . Older age class woods just don't support grouse . Get the DNR to start large scale logging and you'll see grouse , and deer population increase to for that matter. Old woods are pretty , but young woods are better for wildlife

epe

Lancaster
This is from 09 in noble county. In my sisters back yard..

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1385479432675.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1385479432675.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 123

epe

Lancaster
Same year in noble. Been around for years..

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1385479501117.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1385479501117.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 150

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Grouse and bunnies both down. Especially grouse! I haven't see one in years and I used to flush them frequently. The habitat where I am hunting is perfect for grouse. I can't say what has been the demise for sure, but yotes have to play a role. I'd rather see bobcats than yotes only because bobcats won't bother the deer pop. I'm sure they'll kill a fawn, but I can't see them taking down a grown deer.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
I can't see a bounty making much difference, unless your talking 100 or more . Then you'd see fist fights for yote roadkill. I just can't see many more being shot because of a bounty. They're already shot on sight . I only know of a few times I've ever heard of someone passing a yote in Ohio . At least if there was a bounty there'd be a reason to drag those nasty things out of the woods .

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
I saw a bobcat from the stand once. It was making its way through a crp field. That was in Richland county about 9 years ago.

Riverdude

The Happy Hunting Grounds Beyond
Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
Anyone heard any info on the DNR releasing bobcats in eastern Ohio recently?

Supposedly released 50 of them with tracking devices.... Nothing in official release just saw something that was posted by a coyote hunt page on FB..... Eastern Ohio down coyote page.... Not trying too promote it just curious as too the accuracy.....

If it's true I would think we should start seeing game trail camera pictures of them with collars if that was what was used as a tracking device.

Wonder if the collars had a little kitty bell on em. mischeif.gif