Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Interesting video of deer behavior- Your take?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Initially, I thought this buck was simply displaying dominance. Thought about it more. Was this a doe who was unreceptive? Just a button buck who was clueless as to why the buck was posturing? Small buck with antlers I simply couldn't see? Or just a jacked up buck with an attitude? Curious as to your take on it.

On another note: Am I the only one who thinks this buck's neck is massive? Or is it just because he was all bristled up and posturing?

[video=youtube_share;Ljg6uxP_TZg]http://youtu.be/Ljg6uxP_TZg[/video]

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Cool video Phil, he looks to be lip curling and yes....he got a phat neck! Nice buck, TOO bad he's all busted up.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
It appears there are other deer in the background. My guess is that he was lookin for which one might be receptive. I wonder if the falling snow had anything to do with the way his coat looked.

Those were the only two deer Kevin. Some scrub brush in the background. They were 258yds away so I was zoomed out pretty far. Wasn't snowing this morning, but yes, it was cold. I wasn't sure if it was due to the cold or if he was all bristled up like a dog gets when upset. He was obviously upset or displaying dominance or something. Just curious if anyone else had a take on it. No matter the reason, I thought it was pretty cool to see and you all might have enjoyed seeing it.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Lip curl scent check of that doe. She wasn't sure if he was going to come after her or not so she was checking him out too.

Watched a buck dog a doe a few years ago on the other side of this field. Looked like one of those cutting horses where they cut a cow from the herd and keep it from getting back to the rest of the group. That doe did the same as this doe was doing.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
That would be pretty cool to witness as well Redcloud! I could picture it as I read it. Nice description.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
No worries OF. The view thru binoculars was better for an overall perspective. The camera was nice for recording a memory. After review, I learned I should not have zoomed in so far in early light conditions. Then again, who cares? I am not making a TV show. Just memories and the occasional clip to share with the TOO nation.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Had the same buck in within 50yds tonight. I believe he is a big 7pt we have had on camera the last two years but he is busted up on one side. Part of me says "Shoot his butt and get him out of the gene pool" and the other part of me says "Eh, he could still turn into something." Reality is, I will never really know. Might as well flip a coin and decide whether to shoot him or not (given the chance). I am thinking 3yr old deer. Not sure he is ever going to amount to anything.