Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Barnett buck commander

TwistedX

I have hunted with a compound for almost 10 years now and tore up my shoulder last summer ruining my bow hunting experience. I was thinking about getting a Barnett buck commander to start hunting with. I like their speed, 365fps I also like the 126 ft. Lbs they are claiming and the price is right (def. not paying.new price!) What are your thoughts on this bow?

You will want a warranty ..If your buying used you probably won't have one..If I wanted Barnett on a budget I would look at the the Recruit or Raptor..Speed is great and all,but it becomes harder to perfect arrow flight at high speeds with broadheads...Most arrows an optics that come with these packages are mediocre at best...This is coming from a guy who owns a fast crossbow...A guy could buy a new Recruit,decent hawke scope 1/2 dz matched arrows and some broadheads for around 500$..I guess it really depends on what you want accuracy wise...I have not heard any wide spread issues with the buck commander Xbow

Last edited:

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Not sure, but may have answered this already. Get a Parker or Tenpoint Crossbow if possible. Both companies are unsurpassed in customer satisfaction. I also know for sure that both companies have excellent warranties. I have sent both bows back for repairs and was treated not only good, but extremely fast as well. I am not a Barnett fan at all! Most of them are heavy compared to other bows. Talked with two different people who recently bought a Barnett and they were not extremely happy with it. I have seen Parker Tornado's going for around 500 used. They come with a Hawke Scope already. I am fairly sure you will like the Parker or Tenpoint much more in the long run. When you get ready to sell it, you will also be more likely to get your money back. For the money spent, IMO the Parker cannot be beat.

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Went through the same thing three years ago. Sold my Switchback XT and bought a Excaliber Phoenix. 175# draw claimed 305fps. Accuracy wise yeah it is that!!!! useing the boltcutter broadheads are the same as field points. Recurve design means less things to go wrong with. Can change the string in the field with no press. Tough as a tank. Sited it in when i bought it and three years later it has claimed three deer plus my biggest deer and never had to re-adjust the scope yet. Kind of pricey but you get what you pay for. Buddy bought the Ibex at the same time to use with his kids and even though no sholder problems he has went full time crossbow. Here are two deer that the excalibers killed this year. DSC06256.jpgDSC06269.jpg

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo
I know many people who own Barnett crossbows and have never had any problems, Myself included. I have a buddy who has a buck commander and has had 0 problems with it. The B.C. shoots plenty fast enough to kill a deer. And for a lot cheaper the a ten point, Witch I think are way over priced. I have to agree the optics are cheap. I have a preadator, It shoots 375, I put a single red dot scope on it and can shoot out to 45 yards with the single dot. 2" high at 20 and 2" low at 45.

TwistedX

Not sure, but may have answered this already.

You certainly did answer this xbowguy! I'm torn I have guys at deer camp who shoot and love the Barnett bc for its penetration. I've seen complete pass throughs on quartering deer around 40 yards where on exit the arrow went through the shoulder blade. (We process our own deer) So I asked for a second opinion and now I'm doubting the guys at camp. I've not shot a crossbow in 10 years so I have a feelin anything I pick up first will be comfortable. Thanks for taking the time to answer me twice!!

Everyone seems to have their favorite set up, what about a survey?.. I'm not sure how to do it but ill figure it out if people will be interested/participate?

People are going to pick this brand an that...With a crossbow its not a matter of if it will fail,its a matter of when...Cause they all will,if you use them very much...Thats why I would rather see someone buy new or reconditioned an have a warranty(some may used) ....If you want compact,fast an tenpoint,YOUR GOING TO PAY!!..Excalibur make a fine bow,but if you wanting compact I aint sure that is the ticket..The Mission 320 is a dang nice bow if your wanting to spend around 599$ MSRP bow only..Its quiet an plenty fast and Im sure backed by mission/mathews great customer service ..I own a Stryker Strykezone 380 which has a less then stellar track record...I bought mine reconditioned with updated limbs an specs for 350$ less then new cost with a full warranty...I have had at least 300 shots on it with no major problems...I have had end serving redone and timing adjusted..But nothing else YET(knock on wood)..I upgraded the arrows and it now shoots a 445grain total weight at 348-350fps with same hole accuracy out to 40 yards off a bench.. With Slick Trick magnums on the front end and standing shooting unrested I get 2.5-2.75in groups at 40...The SZ 350s an 380s are tough to beat for the price,but the 380 did have issue on the first one before they changed limbs an string specs which actually made them a little slower...The balance,weigh,feel an trigger are amazing on this bow..Measured trigger pull at 2.8lb and less then .015 travel makes this thing light years ahead of the crossbows I played with years ago..If your wanting KE just about every maker has a model or a few that will put out high KE numbers.....Targets dont like this kind of KE much either,so plan on spending some money for that..The local range has the big 4ftx4ftx 18in thick block range targets and I have to push the arrow out from the back to get a hold of the fletching to pull it out

You guys should check out the Cam -X crossbows. They are pretty solid shooters.

Them and Tenpoint are mad in Ohio to boot:smiley_bril:..I picked the strykezone380 because it has one of the absolute best triggers on the market an I got a great price:smiley_clap:...If I was spending close to 600$ or north of it,the CAM-X Chaos 325,mission MXB 320 and Sz350 would be top of my list,but not in that order...The Sz380 is nice,but the Sz350,and Mission 320 are a hair quieter and the 380 is almost to fast IMO..

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I know essentially nothing about crossbows. However, I understand bows, and crossbows are just bows turned on their side. Having said that, I bought an Excalibur last winter. I used it this fall to kill a deer. I LOVE that thing. There is essentially nothing to go out of tune, nothing to break aside from the trigger mechanism. It hits precisely where it's aimed. I like the simple design. One thing about any bow, vertical or xbow, if you want to get consistent performance, you better know how to keep them in time/tune. Not really an issue with an Excalibur...just shoot it.

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
I know essentially nothing about crossbows. However, I understand bows, and crossbows are just bows turned on their side. Having said that, I bought an Excalibur last winter. I used it this fall to kill a deer. I LOVE that thing. There is essentially nothing to go out of tune, nothing to break aside from the trigger mechanism. It hits precisely where it's aimed. I like the simple design. One thing about any bow, vertical or xbow, if you want to get consistent performance, you better know how to keep them in time/tune. Not really an issue with an Excalibur...just shoot it.

I had one back in the 90's and I loved that thing, it hit right where you aimed every time. I was impressed with Dan Miller's string building ability, he could twist you a string that would shoot faster than any other crossbow at that time. I watched him shoot pie plates at 100yrds consistently.