Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Layering Systems

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I have two major issues right now that I need to correct before next season. One, I'm fat and out of shape, so I sweat like a mo fugger walking to my stands. I'm to the point of basically walking in with nothing on. The other issue is that despite being fat, I get cold easily. This year I managed to solve the cold feet issue with good quality wool socks and a size bigger Muck Wetland. That has really been a blessing after enduring cold feet in the deer woods since I was 8!

I'm learning that to kill deer on our farm, access has to be perfect. This requires 1/2-3/4 mile walks or better with regularity. Add in a 14lbs Millennium stand, 5 Lone Wolf climbing sticks, pack, bow, supplies and clothing, and I'm loaded down. I need to lighten the load and the clothes are a huge part of the issue. I am carrying in pants, bib, light fleece, UA fleece, UA hoodie, jacket and vest. That all goes over UA Cold Gear and Copperhead base layers. It's ridiculous that this can't keep me warm, but I have days were I struggle. Two things are apparent, I need less clothing which means I need better quality layers, including some windproof clothing.

Right now I am considering the UA 3.0 or 4.0 base layers, Cabelas Legacy Pro Fleece pullover and pants with WindShear, and possible a waterproof midweight bib and good midweight jacket.

Just looking for ideas on quality clothing that I can use in a 3 layer system starting with a base layer, windproof middle, and weather tolerant outer that would let me sit comfortably in temps down in to the teens.

bds9

Mason
I have the Scentblocker "Freak Nasty" layer system. I don't get cold unless its just plain bitter cold!! And then I think the only thing that's any good is a heater body suit. But I have nothing bad to say about the scentblocker layering system. I stay warm!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'm also considering a Heater Suit, but I really don't like the idea of being enclosed like that. I don't have the luxury of hunting areas where I can see deer coming from a long ways off. I generally stand most of the time I'm in a tree and have come to love a bib/hoodie setup in terms of having access to pockets and the like. Just hard to imagine being in a sleeping bag and trying to get out for a shot in some of my sets without getting busted or being TOO late...

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
I got all new UA stuff and dumped all my other crap pieced together camo. I love it!! Warm, and comfortable. Added a UA hoodie underneath my jacket and I am good to go. Now if I could get my feet to be that way. The Rocky combo I bought helps alot more than any other thing I have tried. Changing my socks, putting the Rocky combo socks on, and toe warmers before I get in the tree has def. made me able to sit there longer.

dangerousoldman

I would suggest you look at first lite or somesuch merino wool base layer. really keeps you warm and holds back the odor of perspiration. I bought some this year and was impressed with how warm I was compared to a compression base layer of snythetic. I would almost suggest you put a mid weight base layer of merino wool on AFTER you arrive at the stand location so that you dont work up such a sweat. Then over that I would put a good thermal top and then a wool or thick shirt and then a thin wool vest if you have one. Then over that I put a lightwt leafy ghillie jacket. Along with all this you can drop one of those handwarmers (the larger body warmer size, down your shirt to the small of you back outside the thermal uw top and put a coouple in your shirt pockets and in your gloves or muff. You might be warmer if you sat a bit more and didnt stand as much. Looser clothing keeps you warmer it seems to me. Cotton kills and wool is warmer than the synthetics especially if wet. I really suspect that a source of you coldness is the perspiration that you generate on the walk in. Carrying so much gear and added wt makes it almost impossible not to heat up. Since it is your farm, is there anyway you can leave some of the gear such as the stand /sticks at the site and try to come in without carrying so much? A lightwt outer outfit to get there in and then change into the wool etc after you have dried off will make you much much warmer. Better to be cold for a few moments while changing than cold all day from not changing at the stand site.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I looked at the FirstLite stuff in one of the mags I got from Cabelas a while back.

Circumstances in the off season prevented me from being more prepared this year, causing the need to pack in a stand nearly every time I have hunted this year. We have 80 acres, but the 50 next door is my bread and butter. It was on the market all summer, so I couldn't prehang stands over there. Regardless, I get cold after a couple hours most day and need to address that as much as anything...

1hornwilly

*Supporting Member III*
I'm also considering these top and bottom...

Cabelas Therml Zone Stand Hunter

I bought these and wore them up there this year. Best money I ever spent. It was amazing. I wasn't cold once....and temps were in the 20's with stupid wind. Now my face and hands were cold as hell, but my core never ever got cold. I put them on over a base layer underarmour type thing and then my cold weather camo directly over them. It was the JAM....

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I bought these and wore them up there this year. Best money I ever spent. It was amazing. I wasn't cold once....and temps were in the 20's with stupid wind. Now my face and hands were cold as hell, but my core never ever got cold. I put them on over a base layer underarmour type thing and then my cold weather camo directly over them. It was the JAM....

Nice Willy! I like those for field hunting geese late seasons also. The goal here is to get quality clothing to bow hunt in so I can take some of my older UA stuff and dedicate it to waterfowl. I have enough clothes to outfit 3-4 grown men for an all day sit in 30-40 degree weather, but not all of it is quality stuff. Just stuff I've accumulated over the years before I realized I should just invest some money in some quality layers.

ImpalaSSpeed96

NJ
The only thing I can suggest Jesse is taking an extra shirt and swapping it out for a dry one once at the stand. I'm in shape, and it doesn't matter, you still sweat. And I've given up on the mobile millenium setup. That thing is awful… It's bad enough to carry it in once, let alone every time. Other than that, I just layer up with fleece mostly. I've given up on the cotton. I have no idea how people stay warm wearing any cotton. I walk in with as little as possible on and usually no hat, and then change shirts if need be.

Huckleberry Finn

This past 4 days of hunts I've realized how much I sweat going into the woods, and that's with regularly doing 30 minutes of cardio at the gym x 4 days a week. I just sweat...I even think that working out encourages the sweating. I think that walking in as little as possible is the best route, even if that's just a UA base layer.

My strategy is currently fleece. And then wind blocker. I wore my Predator bibs with not a lot under them quite a bit and they are still wonderful. I'm planning on picking up their pants with wind blocker as well. Makes all the difference in the world.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I won't give up on the stand. After reviewing other options, I'll stick with the comfort. I've become pretty proficient with my process and it really allows me much more flexibility with tree selection than a climber, and only takes me about 5 more minutes. I got 5 minutes to be that comfortable.

But it is a big, heavy, cumbersome (until you develop a system and get good at it) set up. I realize why people don't like them. For me though, it's the ticket if I'm spending 3+ hours attached to a tree.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I sweat to the stand for a guy that doesn't sweat much. I think I sweat more when I try to walk slowly and quietly through the woods.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I sweat to the stand for a guy that doesn't sweat much. I think I sweat more when I try to walk slowly and quietly through the woods.

I have noticed the same thing. Weird. I have also noticed I sweat less on the walk out when the sun is up and I have more layers on many times. It makes zero sense. Only logical explanation I can think is the increased anticipation and excitement on the walk in has my blood literally pumping faster. I dunno. Wish I had good advice for Jesse, but I have tried many things and haven't found a perfect solution. Don't think a "perfect" solution exists. Dress light and it is colder than predicted. Dress warm and it will be warmer than the forecast. Just the way Murphy's Law works I think.

Mao

Coshocton, OH
I like the UA Ayton Hoodie and Bib as well.

I have this set and really like it. You don't have to pay extra for the not needed scent free stuff, so price isn't to bad. It is comfortable and not real heavy. Also, have you ever considered switching from the heavy sticks and hang on to a light weight climber? Me and 4 of my buddies all have the Summit open shot. Love it. Honestly weighs less than my backpack loaded up. You can go anywhere without breaking a sweat.