Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Looking for new arrows. Suggestions?

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
So I'm in the market for new arrows for my bow. I currently shoot a Hoyt Vector 32. 28 inch draw with a 64 lb. draw weight. Right now I have Carbon Force 200 arrows. I have started to notice when practicing just how much my arrow moves in flight. I know you cant eliminate movement all together. I'm looking at the Carbon Express Maxima Red. Not sure what the difference is between the red and blue streaks though. Unfortunately here at work I'm not able to look at a bunch of different websites to read reviews so I thought I would come here first. Any thoughts or suggestions? I also shoot 100 grain Montec G5 fixed broad heads. I would like to stick with them as I don't trust mechanical broad heads. Any thoughts and suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I do not have any experience with Carbon Express arrows, but I'd say you are WAY underspined. Using their arrow section chart, Carbon Express Maxima Red Chart, they have you in a 350. Using the chart for their other arrows, they also have you in a 350. Just looking at their charts, it appears the 200's are a weaker spined arrow and that is what is causing the erratic flight. Being underspined is also dangerous. It is hard on your bow and in rare cases, can cause some catastrophic bow and arrow failures.

Can't offer much more than that on the CE arrows. I killed my buck with a G5 Montec CS last year and was pleased with how it performed. If you change brands, I would suggest Easton. You could shoot 400s, or spine up and shoot 340's since you are right on the cusp for those as is. I've shot 340's for years and love them in the ST Axis, Flatlines, and Powerflights. A lot of guys like the Powerflights for durability and price point. Having worked with them and shot them myself, they are a quality purchase.

teej89

NE PA
I do not have any experience with Carbon Express arrows, but I'd say you are WAY underspined. Using their arrow section chart, Carbon Express Maxima Red Chart, they have you in a 350. Using the chart for their other arrows, they also have you in a 350. Just looking at their charts, it appears the 200's are a weaker spined arrow and that is what is causing the erratic flight. Being underspined is also dangerous. It is hard on your bow and in rare cases, can cause some catastrophic bow and arrow failures.

Can't offer much more than that on the CE arrows. I killed my buck with a G5 Montec CS last year and was pleased with how it performed. If you change brands, I would suggest Easton. You could shoot 400s, or spine up and shoot 340's since you are right on the cusp for those as is. I've shot 340's for years and love them in the ST Axis, Flatlines, and Powerflights. A lot of guys like the Powerflights for durability and price point. Having worked with them and shot them myself, they are a quality purchase.

what he said. Way underspined, it's like shooting a noodle outta your bow and that's putting a lot unneeded force in your limbs and probably affecting(effecting? no i think it's affecting) your groups. I shoot easton axis and love em, the hidden insert technology is pretty cool. The only issue I have is because the arrows are so thin they go deep into practice targets, makes me look like a fool trying to get em out at the range haha

I was torn between the axis and FMJ, not sure why I went one over the other but both are nice arrows.

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
I would suggest Easton. They have so many choices and at many different price levels. I think there's a reason most Olympic shooters use Easton.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I have no complaints about the HArvest TImes I have had for a couple years. If I wasn't shooting the I would go Gold Tip. DCA would be my choice but the are having some service issues.

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
Thanks for the input gentlemen. I have decided to go with Easton. Now Im trying to decide which ones. Looking heavily at the Da Torches or Bloodlines.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I love easton arrows, I shot the st excel last year cause they were cheap, this year I have been shooting the FMJ's. The fmj is a beast of an arrow, and I'm pretty sure easton arrows are made in the USA and I think carbon express is Korean junk.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Thanks for the input gentlemen. I have decided to go with Easton. Now Im trying to decide which ones. Looking heavily at the Da Torches or Bloodlines.

what do you want your arrows to do? everyone makes and arrow selection for some major factor. penetration, lack of yardage judgment, price, etc....

teej89

NE PA
what do you want your arrows to do? everyone makes and arrow selection for some major factor. penetration, lack of yardage judgment, price, etc....

milo, could ya elaborate on lack of yardage judgement? Is this basically a lighter arrow therefore it'll fly flatter than a heavier arrow?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
milo, could ya elaborate on lack of yardage judgement? Is this basically a lighter arrow therefore it'll fly flatter than a heavier arrow?

Yes. My 29" ST Axis arrows weight 425 grains and my 29" Flatlines weight 390. Same size (340s) and length arrow, but the difference in construction (grains per inch) makes for a heavier/lighter arrow.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia

themedic

OHIO
Or you could buy American made arrows. Matter of choice, the great thing about archery...

Another great reason to shoot the ones bought locally at Wally world is that they are available every year, same arrow and available 24 hours a day. The lasy couple years I have got way with buying a few arrows a year...very cost effective

themedic

OHIO
Of course you could buy into the hype that a more expensive arrow makes you a better bow hunter.......but I dont think it matters. Do your homework and batch shoot your hunting arrows and your doing better than 90% of hunters out there

Ricer2231

Of course you could buy into the hype that a more expensive arrow makes you a better bow hunter.......but I dont think it matters. Do your homework and batch shoot your hunting arrows and your doing better than 90% of hunters out there

I believe that a more expensive arrow could very well have an affect on your ability to make a better shot, which in turn could make you a better bowhunter, to an extent. You're only as good as YOU are. Buying good quality products helps to make you a better shot, of this I'm sure. I'm not saying to go out and buy the most expensive arrow on the market but buy what you shoot the best. I think why you asked the question to begin with was for the same reason many threads get started on here, to get numerous opinions and try to avoid the trial and error method that people have experienced before. That's the best thing about this site, members will always help you the most that they can. Good luck in finding that perfect arrow for you and if it makes any difference I shoot the Easton Axis arrows TOO and they hit like a sledgehammer. They shoot great, penetrate like crazy, and you can get them in 2 days from any big outdoor store like Cabelas, Gander Mountain,Bass Pro or the like, just not Wal Mart.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I bought in to no such hype. I've used Easton arrows from Day 1 because that's what came with my first bow and I've never seen any reason to change. I choose to use quality, American made products that I order well in advance of hunting season and batch the same way you do your cheap, Korean made Wally World arrows. They both kill deer dead, no hype needed. I suppose if I didn't have my shit together and needed cheap arrows at 9:30 Friday night, I'd shoot arrows from Wal-Mart TOO. Not to say you don't have your shit together because obviously you do. Just saying I see how I could end up in the archery section of Wal-Mart looking for projectiles...