Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Wolf?

Big H

Medina
I don't have the picture yet, but supposedly trapped in Carroll County. I saw the pic yesterday and he is supposed to get the real scoop before he sends it to me. Anyone hear anything about this?

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I don't have the picture yet, but supposedly trapped in Carroll County. I saw the pic yesterday and he is supposed to get the real scoop before he sends it to me. Anyone hear anything about this?
i would be surprised that any trapper in ohio has a trap out that would hold the power of a wolf.

Big H

Medina
i would be surprised that any trapper in ohio has a trap out that would hold the power of a wolf.

As the story goes, the landowner had seen it and had someone come in to specifically target the critter. I know how these things, go, so I am hoping to get confirmation today. It could have escaped, or been a pet? IDK, but it is big.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Wouldn't be the first one in Ohio. Just saying. I have seen one mounted which was killed in Ohio. They are randomly out there. Whether turned loose by private owners or otherwise. . . . who knows.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
There are rumors of animals still floating around from that great escape near Cambridge when all the giraffes and zebras got out. Some trail cam pics have surfaced locally of a black panther and one local had some horses mauled a few weeks ago. Just speculating, but maybe there are some remaining animals from that incident?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Guy just down the road from me has two wolfs. They are 99% wolf dogs and you would never know they were dogs other than the fact that they ride around in the back of his truck everywhere he goes. But they might as well be real wolves...

badger

*Supporting Member*

Some of the beefed up footholds with all the mods are overkill for our yotes, and they hold hold wolves. I caught a big yote for my area with a stock, out of the box Duke 1.5 coil. I wouldn't recommend setting them for yotes as 9 out of 10 times they will get destroyed, and your catch will be gone.

They get caught in the UP of Michigan quite often, wouldn't surprise me to see a few make their way down here.

Kaiser878

ohio
I agree......if a wolfs foot would fit in a mb550 it would hold it. I also believe my modified bridger #2s would hold one.
Along with a KB 5.5

Last edited:

badger

*Supporting Member*
I agree......if a wolfs foot would fit in a mb550 it would hold it. I also believe my modified bridger #2s would hold one.
Along with a KB 5.5

Those MB550's are some strong traps, I'd have no problem setting one where a larger canine might roam. Thing is, we aren't talking Alaskan wolves here, that is a completely different ball game.

Kaiser878

ohio
Exactly. Those guys trapping wolves in Alaska are using MB 750s.....those are some mean traps......wouldn't want one clamping down on me. Ha

I saw on trapperman a while back a guy caught a mountain lion in a stock Bridger #2....... talk about stepping just right. I wouldn't wanna be the guy to let that thing go....

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Wouldn't surprise me if it was real either wild or pet left go. There was just one killed in KY as confirmed wolf. They have no idea how it got there the last I heard.
And just think I have to walk out in the dark tomorrow morning to take the grandson deer hunting. Now I know he can run a lot faster than I can. Damn.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Wouldn't surprise me if it was real either wild or pet left go. There was just one killed in KY as confirmed wolf. They have no idea how it got there the last I heard.
And just think I have to walk out in the dark tomorrow morning to take the grandson deer hunting. Now I know he can run a lot faster than I can. Damn.

You know what they always said Frank: You don't have to outrun the Wolf......Just the guy you're with!............
You can always trip him Frank!rotflmao

badger

*Supporting Member*
Exactly. Those guys trapping wolves in Alaska are using MB 750s.....those are some mean traps......wouldn't want one clamping down on me. Ha

I saw on trapperman a while back a guy caught a mountain lion in a stock Bridger #2....... talk about stepping just right. I wouldn't wanna be the guy to let that thing go....

Not a mountain lion, but I caught a large adult male otter in an old Vic 1.5 that was set for coon and mink. Season wasn't in, and it was an experience turning it loose!

epe

Lancaster
I saw they have confirmed mountain lion in Michigan. That would be a cat I wouldn't want in my treestand tree....

buckstar25

T-county
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1385166055.404888.jpg

This is the one I saw

Kaiser878

ohio
Not a mountain lion, but I caught a large adult male otter in an old Vic 1.5 that was set for coon and mink. Season wasn't in, and it was an experience turning it loose!

They are about 30 inches of pure muscle....... never been around one. But I have heard they are mean and strong