Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Pedestal mount base??

Buckslayer

*Supporting Member*
Jackson County
Does anyone know or personally make floor pedestal mount bases. I really want to mount my buck this way, but the bases at mckenzie are 300-500 dollars...looking for a much better price. I want something to lay the sheds on below the deer in a habitat.

Kaiser878

ohio
uploadfromtaptalk1384864710857.jpg

I made this one for this mount I did. They really aren't hard to make Seth. Call me sometime and I can walk u though then process. Its really quite simple

themedic

OHIO
Ive made 2.....real easy and Hobby Lobby has all kinds of the fake vegetation and habitat decor
Shorty's

This was for my buddies mule deer shot in September:

This is after the filed the base with a sand/glue mix

Here is an article I wrote on how its done: http://trophypursuit.com/update/296

I would be happy you help you Seth, come down for a hunt late season and we can build one and shoot a couple does

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I love Zach's and IMO, that pic doesn't do it justice. I've always envisioned mounting a buck in a similar fashion and when I saw him in person, I've been in love ever sense. I have no doubts you could do something similar and you'd have the satisfaction of knowing you did it yourself.

Kaiser878

ohio
Cory, how do yours attach ?

When I made mine I wanted something sturdy....but easy to disassemble. Since I mounted the deer also I dug the foam out of the back of the mount. There is a 2x4 backing in all mounts. I made a steel bracket and made a 2 pin iron rod attachment system. I will take pics when I get home. Once I attatched the bracket to the deer I then took spray foam and refilled what I dug out of the form then rasped it out to fit the stump it slides in.

I also drilled out two holes in the stump and inserted 2 pieces of 1/2 inch Dow rod and then re-drilled them to accommodate the iron rod attatchment bracket. Once the deer was mounted I put black felt on the back for eye appeal and bordered it in black rope....

When I get home I'll take photos.... for reference

themedic

OHIO
Cory, how do yours attach ?

When I made mine I wanted something sturdy....but easy to disassemble. Since I mounted the deer also I dug the foam out of the back of the mount. There is a 2x4 backing in all mounts. I made a steel bracket and made a 2 pin iron rod attachment system. I will take pics when I get home. Once I attatched the bracket to the deer I then took spray foam and refilled what I dug out of the form then rasped it out to fit the stump it slides in.

I also drilled out two holes in the stump and inserted 2 pieces of 1/2 inch Dow rod and then re-drilled them to accommodate the iron rod attatchment bracket. Once the deer was mounted I put black felt on the back for eye appeal and bordered it in black rope....

When I get home I'll take photos.... for reference

Both are the taxi supplied "d" ring with a drywall screw:)

bds9

Mason
Those are some pretty neat looking bases. I'd say these fellers will probably be able to help you out!

I built my own using barn wood we had stored down there at the farm. Took a few days of work to do it but I wouldn't trade it for anything. The top, you can see the seam where the habitat is framed, can be removed so the whole thing can be moved in 2 pieces easily.

Sorry for the ugly feller next to it......

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I think I am going to try and make one of these. I think your pedestals all look great. Corey's pics aren't showing up now for some reason, but I remember it looking good.

I think I am going to aim more for what Kaiser did. However, I'd be happy with any of these styles.

I saw this one at a local taxidermist yesterday evening. I thought it looked ok too. I like the look of the old fencepost with the habitat around it.

ped mount.jpg

I also found this one online that I thought was up my alley.

ped mount 2.jpg

The fun part will be trying to build it and knowing it was my work. My goal is to put my best buck on it, the one from 2010 with the double split brows. Can't wait to get started!

Thanks for the ideas guys! (sorry for the hijack Seth)

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I found another one online that I could do pretty easy. I even have an old end table that looks just like this one. I wonder if the wife will let me use it? Lol

ped mount 3.jpg

I think if I were to use this though, I would box in the sides with some old cedar fencing(kind of like Big Holla's) to cover up the legs. I just figure the table could act as a solid foundation. I have old cedar fencing from my parents' old pool fence.