Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Is it too late?.?

dirtysouth36

My season got a late start due to me being busy with my other hobby. But when I did get time to get in the woods I find my 15ft. Ladder stand missing. Someone stole my stand. Still can't figure out how they got it out. Pretty secluded area I'm hunting closest house being half mile away. Closest road was a quiet dirt road at least 400 yard from where my stand was. But anyway, is it too late to hang a new stand? I just refurbished my old hang on stand hoping to get in the woods for some bow hunting before the gun season madness starts. I have a small window to get some bowhunting in before the deer get scared to death lol. Oh and this stand will be locked up like fort Knox lol. Thanks for any input guys. Love the forum by the way. I find myself on here for hours just reading!!

Gordo

Athens County
never to late buddy. I'm hanging/moving stands all the time, even if its to a tree 50 yards away.

Dont be scared to make adjustments. The sooner you get over that hump and understand it, the better off you'll be.

Happy Hunting

Last edited:

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Like Gordo said, its never TOO late! Sorry that some POS stole your stand though. I'd lock the next one up in the future. Carry your weapon of choice with you when you do hang your stand because during this time of year a slob might just happen by while your hanging it. I'd hang and hunt the first time in I'd I were you.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Like Ric said, I'd hang it and then immediately climb up and hunt. That way your not hanging it, leaving, and then coming back TOO hunt. Less human scent.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I have put up stands and killed deer out of them a couple hours later. Any stand in a tree beats one in the garage! Good Luck Buddy!

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Same advice here. In past years I've either taken deer out of a new stand location the same day of the very next day.
This was all done before using the smoking scent cover. It should be a safer way now.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
I think you've got your answer - and welcome to the forum!
Don't hesitate to share your experience - jump in, as you see, the water's warm

Lundy

I have killed two bucks over the years as I was in the process of hanging a stand.

Never too late

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I hung 2 in the rain Sunday. It was the perfect day for it and there is more rain in the forecast, so there is good stand hanging weather coming...

Buckmaster

Portage
Hang it and sit.

Last week I moved a stand for my father. He proceeded to hunt it after hanging it. Within a half hour of his hunt he had 2 deer under him.

bds9

Mason
Sounds like you may wanna invest in a more portable set up. I have a Lone Wolf Assault stand with a 4 pack of the Lone wolf sticks, I take it in and out with me everytime I hunt. Takes 5 minutes to put up and take down. I will never own another stand. The best set up for me that I've came across. But as for being too late? I've moved numerous times in a day during the rut and been successful so timing shouldn't be and issue for you.

Flatlander

Darby Creek
A few years back I acquired a new area to hunt in November, did a quick scout, found a nice scrape line and found a good tree to climb with my climber. By the time I got to the height I wanted and pulled up my bow, big boy was right under me checking the scrape and probably trying to figure out what all the racket was! Man climbers have come a long way since those old steel angled v bars ......lol. Anyway, I think you are getting the point from everyone, it is never too late. Good luck!

dirtysouth36

Thanks guys. Lots of helpful info from everyone. I'll definitely be heading out to hang my stand. Its hard for me to get to the woods before dark after work. Takes me 40 minutes to get to the property from where I live which sucks. Especially since it gets dark about 530ish. But planning on hanging on Thursday after work.

toke2

I say think of it as a "climber"... those of us who use climbers do this every hunt. As for the ladder ( being the main difference), yes it is there, but probably has no more scent on it than what your boots leave. If you are worried about it, spray it down after you get it secured. In terms of visibility, I don't think the deer notice the ladders. If it's not moving they don't know any better unless they're right on top of it. Ground blinds.... now that's a different story. Set up my pop up blind this year for my first time taking my 12 yo son out, and a doe and yearling came down the ridge right in front of us stopped at 42yds and mama knew something was wrong. Wind was in our face, so she never got our scent - but she knew that big blob didn't belong there. Admittedly I didn't really brush it in, but even if I did, I think she would have been on alert with a big brush pile where there was not one the day before. She stomped at us and snorted for a good 10 mins while the yearling grazed. I told my son, "....she knows something is there, but if we don't move - she has no idea we are here..." she never truly spooked even though we had the blind windows open ( had facemasks on), so eventually she nudged the baby and meandered back up the hill. Killed a buck a week later from 18 ft. up in my climber - in the same spot. He and his brother never saw me. I truly think they don't look up - unless they catch movement movement. Bottom line - I think your fine to hang and hunt!

dirtysouth36

Well finally got the time to head out and hang my stand. I work til 3pm so by the time I drive 40 min to get there by the time I got it up it was almost dark so didn't really get to sit. But def be on stand this weekend with my bow. Hang on stand is locked down so nobody can steal it. Also removed my bottom climbing stick so they can't climb up to it. Hopefully that keeps it safe. Couple years back had this stand hung close to this spot and had a guy in middle of gun season decide he wanted to hunt out of it. Good thing I was there to ruin his plans!! I will try to keep everyone updated this weekend while I hunt And try to get some pictures from the stand..

Glad you got the stand hung and didn't let some POS ruin your season. Just hate to hear of people's stuff getting stolen like that! I'd say someone likely 'moved' it to a different location rather than pack it completely out of there. Sucks but some still think of themselves as 'hunters' after doing something like that.