Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Tweaking some arrows, looking for education and input

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Since the Spyder is still in the shop I have considered tinkering with my arrows a bit. I tend to have issues seeing where an arrow hits the deer or finding it on the ground from the tree after the shot. I have thought of adding some white wraps. Is 4" sufficient? Should I go 6-7"?

I "might" add some luminoks as well. I realize this is going to add a bit of weight to the tail end of the arrow. Should I go to a heavier broadhead to offset the tail weight? I am a fan of heavier arrows. I just simply do NOT claim to know much in this department. Figured if you all can help educate me a bit, then others could learn from my ignorance as well.

Is it this simple? Add weight to rear, so I need to add weight to the front?

For reference, I am shooting a 60lb limb Hoyt Spyder 30. Arrows are Easton ST Excel 300 cut to 29 11/16" not including the nock or field point.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
What grain tips are you shooting now, Phil? Jesse's pretty spot on with his post. If you have a stiff enough arrow shaft, you could bump up to a 125 or 150 grain head... you'd get a heavier (total) arrow and your FOC would probably be better than it was prior to the lumenok altogether (that is, if you're shooting 100's right now). Just keep in mind, with a heavier arrow comes the necessity to be a better judge of yardage. You just don't have as much room for error with a heavier arrow, no matter how fast of a bow you're shooting.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Thanks guys. Shooting 100gr tips now. 60lb bow so you are spot on Jim. Yardages would be critical and plenty of practice in store. In regards to the spine, I am definitely not under spined. The arrows I am using were intended for the GT500 and I am shooting them out of the 60lb Spyder. With the lighter bow, I am liking heavier in regards to my arrows.

Basically sounds like I would "probably" be okay if I just added the wraps.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
would not go longer than 5. its not necessary. if you cant find them with a 5 inch wrap a 6 or 7 inch wrap wont make a difference.