Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Remington 870 Express Mag scope options

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Lonewolfnopack got me thinking. I have always fired open sights on my shotgun. Last year I started thinking I might want a scope mounted. With the ever increasingly accurate ammo available today, I feel I could benefit from a scope. Here is my issue: How to mount it?

This is not drilled and tapped for a scope. I have looked into the saddle mounts which allow you to use a scope. I have also been told not to waste my money as they tend to move and are not the most stable way to mount a scope. Anyone with experience using these? It appears there are many options out there now where as in the past there were not.

Huckleberry Finn

When I was looking at getting a saddle mount for mine (I was thinking the red dot route), I was told by many to just have it drilled and taped by a gunsmith. A saddle mount is about $25, to have it drilled and tapped, you're looking at around $50. Seems like that would be a good $25 extra to be spent. On the saddle mounts, Weaver makes the most popular one. Remington also makes one under their brand and Dick's of all places carries it. The final option is to go the canilever route, which IMO is a lot of money for an extra barrel when you could just buy another gun.

Decided that I didn't want to scope the 870 as it's my all around gun. I'll by a Savage 220 someday and just put some nice glass on that.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
IMO even a saddle mount is better than iron sights. . I've always like low power scopes in the 1.5x4 or 2x7 range . I got a 1.5x 4 now , on a receiver thats drilled and tapped .

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I agree Huck. Another barrel? No thanks. I would also go the Savage route and be part way there if I didn't have to buy a barrel. There were only a couple options last time I looked at saddle mounts. Now it appears there are more. Thus the reason I was once again considering this route. Some of the billet ones seem pretty stout. Might not be as apt to break, move, bend, or whatever the issues with the plastic ones were. Drilling and tapping would be fine as well and worth the money in my opinion. Just not sure who would do it or the time frame for turn around.

Carpn- good point. I do have the Truglo fiber optic sights on it, but this isn't the same as a scope. Was considering the Nikon 2-7x36 scope. BDC reticle with impressive light transmission and respectable eye relief for $150 seems fair.

Last edited:

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Is your barrel rifled? I'll never regret purchasing the Mossberg manufactured 870, rifled, cantilever mount barrel. I can go to a field barrel quickly and put the deer barrel back on and hold zero. Most of my deer died with this gun, some at very long range.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Rifled slug barrel, Mike. Just not drilled and tapped for a scope. Curious if anyone has experience with some of the "newer" saddle mounted scope mounts.

Lundy

I have only have experience with the older saddle mounts and it wasn't very good, maybe the new ones are OK.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have only have experience with the older saddle mounts and it wasn't very good, maybe the new ones are OK.

Curious what your experience was Lundy? I have heard a lot of people cringe and tell me to stay away from these. Nobody has given an actual reason why? Also curious if these were a plastic or poly material or metal?

Lundy

The ones I am familiar with were metal and attached via the receiver pins and would flex all over the place. I could push on them with a finger and flex them.

That was 30+ years ago and I haven't looked at one since. They have had to get better over all of these years, couldn't get much worse. They were all getting mounted on 870 smooth bores.

Back then there were not many threaded barrels for shotgun scope mounts, no cantilever barrels, very few rifled barrels, almost all smooth bore shooting "punkin balls" as my father called them.

A shotgun shoots a slug the same everytime, a scope tells me where its going. I want a scope and mount that will never lie to me:)

Last edited:

Big H

Medina
I have had the same experience as Lundy, and would not recommend the saddle style mount, unless they have gotten a LOT better. BUT, if you decide to go that route I have one I would sell... It hasn't been used in about 15-20 years. Actually I considered throwing it and the gun into the creek after a very bad experience.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I have had the same experience as Lundy, and would not recommend the saddle style mount, unless they have gotten a LOT better. BUT, if you decide to go that route I have one I would sell... It hasn't been used in about 15-20 years. Actually I considered throwing it and the gun into the creek after a very bad experience.
Ha, yep saddles suck. They will walk shots all over.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Anyone have experience with the newer ones made out of aircraft aluminum? I think Carpn said it and I think I agree it has to be better than open sights. Going to make a couple phone calls today to see if anyone can drill and tap in a short turn around locally before I try anything else.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Anyone have experience with the newer ones made out of aircraft aluminum? I think Carpn said it and I think I agree it has to be better than open sights. Going to make a couple phone calls today to see if anyone can drill and tap in a short turn around locally before I try anything else.

I would think Frank may know someone to do it for you. That is the route I would go.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Here's the deal Phil - just my opinion - the best tool for a job is a tool designed and built for that job.

Add-ons and aftermarket parts can work ok....but something designed for the job almost always does better.
Would you rather build something with a Phillips head screwdriver that's the right size, or use your Leatherman tool?
The leatherman will get the job done, but.....well, you know.....

FYI - don't listen to anything I say
I love my 500 combo - one field barrel, then bingo, just install the cantilever rifled barrel with scope and wham, I get to spend $3 a shot on expensive sabots!
I got a special barrel-bag just for the scoped barrel, holds it's zero ok.
Did I mention sabots are expensive?

One more thing - yeah, a scope gives you long range accuracy - but a scoped shotgun ain't so good for fast close-in work or shooting at 'em on the run
Again, don't listen to me

Last edited:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Here's the deal Phil - just my opinion - the best tool for a job is a tool designed and built for that job.

Add-ons and aftermarket parts can work ok....but something designed for the job almost always does better.
Would you rather build something with a Phillips head screwdriver that's the right size, or use your Leatherman tool?
The leatherman will get the job done, but.....well, you know.....

FYI - don't listen to anything I say
I love my 500 combo - one field barrel, then bingo, just install the cantilever rifled barrel with scope and wham, I get to spend $3 a shot on expensive sabots!
I got a special barrel-bag just for the scoped barrel, holds it's zero ok.
Did I mention sabots are expensive?

One more thing - yeah, a scope gives you long range accuracy - but a scoped shotgun ain't so good for fast close-in work or shooting at 'em on the run
Again, don't listen to me

You sir, are a very wise man and a wordsmith like no other. I applaud you. :smiley_clap:

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Basically Phil I'm saying don't drill/tap your gun. It's something you can't undo.

But that's just me.
It's yer gun, do what you want. If you're comfortable with it. If you don't care. If altering a gun in an irreparable manner doesn't bother you.

(You nevah write, you nevah kawl...and oy vay, now you want to modify your shotguns.....)

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Basically Phil I'm saying don't drill/tap your gun. It's something you can't undo.

But that's just me.
It's yer gun, do what you want. If you're comfortable with it. If you don't care. If altering a gun in an irreparable manner doesn't bother you.

(You nevah write, you nevah kawl...and oy vay, now you want to modify your shotguns.....)

I'll give the flip side to this. If you do D/T the receiver you can keep a rail on the top of it with the scope mounted for gun season and then remove and just put some flush mount screws in for small game/waterfowl use.

The true answer is to sell a firearm you don't use and either buy a cantilevered barrel or special purpose shotgun. You frugal shit.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
You want a slug gun buy a slug gun..... Like Beener said don't be so frugal get he specialized deer gun and save the combo for the squirrel/bunny/turkey if you want.....
Nothing worse then having too put it on and take it off then storing it and hoping nothing happens too it in storage..... And the. There's the zeroing in every year.... @ 3.00 a pop lol....