Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

The story to my deer

rutcrazed

Butler Co.
Each year I take 1 or 2 weeks vacation the first week or two of November. I usually don't do a whole lot of hunting before then unless my cams give me a reason to go. I like to stay out of my areas as much as I can but I go a little to kill the urge and to get some a** time. This year I was fortunate to get some permission to hunt another property with some guys at work which turned out to be a great thing! On my first week as most guys have seen this year things have been really slow. I seen rutting activity only one day but it was pretty good! There was several bucks cruising that day and a 140-150" deer chasing a doe in a standing soy bean field next to me. He started my way and at the last second turned and walked away getting as close as 50 yards. Fast forward to this week. Tuesday morning I had small bucks chasing all around me on this new piece off property. I'm sitting on the edge of a doe bedding area trying not to get TOO close. I had what I think was my deer at 35 yards walk by in some thick stuff on a mission. Later that evening in the same spot I had another tall tined deer probably close to 150 come through grunting and he stopped at 35 long enough for a shot but I wasn't sure of the yardage so I didn't take the shot. Twice now I have had shooter at 35ish yards and no shot(got to love bow hunting). I debated over and over as to if I should move closer to the bedding area or not but I thought once I move in its going to be all or nothing. The next morning around 8:45 I had a small doe come in and bed down 15 yards of my stand. A little later I hear something and here comes a doe acting a little strange in the thick stuff and comes in and just plopped down about 45 yards. Now I have two doe bedded by me. The first doe gets up and walks up by the other doe and she gets up. When she got up I look behind her and there stands the tall tined buck. He sees the smaller doe and comes down and bumps her a little right down to me and gets within 35 yards again no shot!! They turn and walk about 100 yards off and looks to be bedded again. In a little bit I here some chasing and look up and here comes 3 doe and mister tall tines. He bumps the 3 doe right under my stand and gets to 50 yards and stops turns around and goes back to the top where his doe is. I have never seen a buck not wanting any deer around his doe not even other doe! That afternoon I move my stand 20 yards closer to them and see no deer that evening. The next morning climbing the tree I hear a deer run off. It gets to 9 that morning and no deer sightings I thought well you got TOO close and it's over. I did a few random grunts and sat down. 10 minutes later. I hear a crunch and look down and there's a buck 15 yards. He takes a few steps and I draw my bow. As I draw I hear my broadhead rattle look down and a blade is open!! At this point he's directly under me and I'm at full draw! I hold it which seems like forever and he turns and I let down fix my blade and swing to the other side of the tree. He walks to 25 yard I stop him at a hard quartering away angle and let it fly. He trots about 25 yards and starts to weeble wobble and falls!! It is funny to me how you can have deer so close at times but with a bow they might as well be 100 yards. I love it!! Thanks everyone for all your kind comments!! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1384527759.524960.jpg

teej89

NE PA
Awesome story! Funny how Murphy's law is always around us while deer hunting lol good thing you were able to fix your broadhead fast enough.

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
Sure is a good thing you had time to fix your broadhead! Great story and great buck! Congrats!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Great hunt and read! You've got a spot a hunter can tag a pig every year in right there as long as there's a couple living within a mile or so. Doe bedding areas and pinch points during mid Nov. are killer!

Congrats on killin a great buck and thanks for sharing!

rutcrazed

Butler Co.
Thanks fellas. My thoughts are still in the air on the mechanicals. Wouldn't you know in 2 weeks straight of hunting that was the only time it popped open!!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I don't want to derail your thread. I will leave it at congratulations on an outstanding buck and fixed broad heads don't open ahaha!!!