Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

My Buck

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
This season has been incredibly challenging for me with a couple upsets. Some of you might of read about me missing a 130'' 8 point. I never told this one though cause I was so disgusted with myself. I was hunting that little 3 acre thicket that is surrounded by corn two weeks ago on a saturday morning. I was focused on a trail that leads into the core of the area where I planted a honey hole food plot of clover and brassica when I noticed movement out of the corner of my left eye. I slowly turn to see a really nice buck standing broadside at 15 yards browsing on briars, I didn't stare at his rack long but if I had to guess I would say he was around 140''. The fugger caught me off guard and I didn't think I could stand without spooking him so I shot sitting down and my stand has an armrest. I rushed the shot and hit him high in the shoulder and watched him bolt with most of my arrow sticking out, I am shooting a mathews monster MR8 32'' draw 72# and uncut fmj's, they were tipped with the rage hypodermics I just bought the day before. Rage heads suck ass when they encounter bone. We tracked him for 300 yards with hardly any blood then lost the trail, 15 minutes later it rained. I still walked around for a while looking but never found him. After alot of thinking it occurred to me that I was being way to selfish in holding out for a big buck when I should be putting meat in the freezer for my family, the time will come when I shoot and kill a big buck it just ain't happening this year especially since I'm back to working 6 days a week for most likely the rest of the season. So here's the story. I went to my stand where I hit the big buck in the shoulder, 10 mins after daylight I see the guy coming that checks the wells on the farm. There is a pumper well 30 yards behind my stand so I got down before he got to it and went to my buddies stand 200 yards away. The stand is on the edge of the standing corn field and 50 yards to the right is a 40 yard wide crp field that is about 150 yards long and it butts up against another standing corn field, there is also a creek running through it. Doe like to bed down there and we've also had pics of a wide 8 point with short tines and my deer. After getting into the stand the sun rose above the horizon and blinded me. While scanning the crp with my hand above my eyes I noticed a deer walking around and I couldn't tell the sex of it. I grunted 3 times and it crossed the creek heading in my direction, I then lost sight it so I made 2 doe bleats. No more than 20 seconds after the doe bleats I see that it's a small buck and he's standing at the corner of the corn about to come up the edge. I was already standing at this time anticipating this and he starts walking up the edge of the corn with his head on a swivel looking for the doe that he thought was there, I'm only 15 ft up in a ladder stand and he looked at me twice and kept slowly walking. When he got 5-6 yards past me on the left I drew back and settled the pin behind his shoulder, the whole time I'm getting my pin on him he is looking right at me. I let him have it, he bull kicked and ran one row in and bolted left, seconds later I heard him crash! I waited a few minutes then got down and inspected the point of impact. There was blood sprayed all over the corn and my arrow indicated a lung shot. He went 50 yards and fell dead. This is only my second year of bowhunting and I think I was getting a little ahead of myself, I needed to slow down and enjoy it. I did just that when I harvested this buck!

P.S. My buddy, who has never harvested a deer had 2 chances to kill this deer from the same stand and I think he froze up. I sit in it once and kill it lol I hope he's not TOO mad at me. I will be focusing on helping him get a deer now though.

Last edited:

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
The reason I put the scent smoker in front of my deer is
1. He was downwind when I shot him.
2. I would of never had the encounters I've had this year without it.
3. Its badass.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1384506875199.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1384506875199.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 94
  • uploadfromtaptalk1384506897416.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1384506897416.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 93
  • uploadfromtaptalk1384506930639.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1384506930639.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 85

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Awesome stuff Chad! Nothing wrong with filling your freezer and experiencing the adrenalin rush while in the process of doing it buddy! You made a great shot TOO! Congrats on getting it done and before going back to work as well! Have fun in helping your buddy fill his tag as well! Thanks for sharing!

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Thanks guys, I also want to add that my buddy said I could hunt his stand Lol. I wouldn't of sat there without asking. I think I'm going to wait until we have a decent amount of snow til I shoot a doe, I want to paint it red:D And like I said before, for some reason there seams to be an abundance of small bucks around here this year so I didn't think twice about him.

Last edited: