Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Shotgun scopes

LonewolfNopack

The woods
All,

I am planning on getting a cantilever barrel for my 870 (it comes with a cheap junk scope which ticks me off but that's a different story). So the first thing I am going to do is replace the scope and get some quality on there. Any ideas for a good shotgun scope? I won't be shooting past 100 yards.

huntn2

Hudson, OH
All,

I am planning on getting a cantilever barrel for my 870 (it comes with a cheap junk scope which ticks me off but that's a different story). So the first thing I am going to do is replace the scope and get some quality on there. Any ideas for a good shotgun scope? I won't be shooting past 100 yards.

I like my Nikon 2x7

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Nikon or leupold you can't go wrong with either.... Stay in the 30 objective range as well... More sturdy for the shotgun recoil....

Strizzi

I got the Nikon 2x7 shotgunner I believe it's called it has a long eye relief and bullet drop on it, I'm 100% satisfied with it.

Lundy

Nikon or leupold you can't go wrong with either.... ....

Both great reliable choices.

A 2-7 with a HEAVY duplex works great in the woods, especially at low light with a scope with a good exit pupil rating for low light. I would go as large on the objective lens as I could without the scope getting too large or costly.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Both great reliable choices.

A 2-7 with a HEAVY duplex works great in the woods, especially at low light with a scope with a good exit pupil rating for low light. I would go as large on the objective lens as I could without the scope getting too large or costly.

Lundy, I've always heard the larger the objective the more fragile it becomes and for shotgun/muzzleloader too keep it in the 30 objective range.... Your opinion?

Lundy

Lundy, I've always heard the larger the objective the more fragile it becomes and for shotgun/muzzleloader too keep it in the 30 objective range.... Your opinion?

Maybe on lesser quality (inexpensive) scopes, but not so on the better scopes.

inexpensive scopes are inexpensive for a reason

LonewolfNopack

The woods
Rutin, Do you find the 3 inch of eye relief to be adequate? I would think with a shotgun you would want at least 5 inches, but I don't know, that's why I'm asking?

Lundy

Lone,

How do you normally hunt?. To you walk around or sit? What is your typical shot, Woods, fields? Moving shots? Standing shots? What kind of accuracy do you require at 100 yds, 3" or 6" groups?

There are a bunch of different scopes offered because of all of the varied hunting opportunities and styles. What works for one may not always be the best choice for another.

A 3" eye relief is always enough until the day that it isn't and you end up with a cut eyebrow, been there done that:) I still have many 3" eye relief scopes on guns but I learned that I prefer more when possible.

When I set up a gun for my father in his later years, knowing he would never be shooting over 100 yds and most shots would be in the woods I opted for Red Dot type optics. Various dot sizes and brightness, 1x magnification, huge eye relief, accurate, simple. He is no longer with me but I keep that gun set up the same way because if I ever wanted a gun to walk through the woods with and have the fastest target acquisition that would be it. Just because of the size of the dot you can not shot as tight of groups at 100 yds as you can with a crosshair but plenty accurate to kill a deer every shot for sure.

LonewolfNopack

The woods
Thanks for the explanation Lundy. That helps a lot. I will be primarily stand hunting, shooting at calm standing deer (I hope!). 100 yard max shots, 5 or 6 inch groups would be just fine with me at 100.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
For a do all optic I like 2-7xwhateveryoucanfitobjectives on a shotgun. Plenty of magnification but can still be put it on target fast with both eyes open. My first stop would be a Vortex Diamondback or Viper in 2-7x35 for personal use.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I like the Vortex line of optics. I bought a Vortex Strikefire to put on an AR. I believe Quantum took my suggestion and put that on his slug gun. Very nice scope!

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo
Ive have a bushnell 1.75-4.5 on my 870 since the 80's never a problem with it. Bought a Redfield 2-7 for my sons HnR 20ga.
And pretty happy with it for the price. $120.00

Treed

Stark County
I like the Vortex line of optics. I bought a Vortex Strikefire to put on an AR. I believe Quantum took my suggestion and put that on his slug gun. Very nice scope!

I had a Strikefire with the Vortex 3x flip side magnifier on my AR-10. It was a sweet set up, I loved it. So did my wife. While I was away for a few weeks last spring, she bought an AR-15 flat top by DPMS and put my gear on it. She sighted in and won't give them back! My AR-10 now wears my old Leatherwood ART M-1000.

My slug gun wears a Nikon 2-7x32 Prostaff shotgun scope. Works great the old 500.