Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What slugs do you use?

TwistedX

My wife just bought me a savage 220 scope and gun combo that comes with the hornady sst in 3" has anyone had any experience with these? In the past I always shot the Remington accutips out of my 12 and had great success. That's why I have no experience with the hornadys. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated thanks!!
PS she does have a sister but she's already married. Sorry

loose_is_fast

McClure
I always shoot hornady sst but in 2 3/4 never heard of the 3. and yes sst are awesome for being dead on I mean I clover leaf at 60 yards no problem out of my browning gold deer hunter.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Have the same gun and experimented a lot last year with ALL the different sabots and the best out of that combo was the Remington Accutips in 2 3/4" tightest grouping out too 100 yards....

yotehunter

spencerville oh
I'm shooting the 2 3/4s and the are accurate as hell out of my 870. They do mushroom and fragment well especially when put on the paddle bone. I don't shoot anything else and they are resonable too buy usually around 10 to 11 bucks a box.

TwistedX

Thanks everyone! I've been looking around haven't seen the 3" online anywhere that's what her brother said it came with.

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo
Didn't have much luck with the sst on my sons HnR 20ga. single shot. Tried the new federal trophy copper 3" shells and had a 1" group a 100yds on a bench. These slugs are good out to 200 yards, If you would try a shot that far.

Schu72

Streetsboro
Been shooting Winchester Partition Gold for years. They are getting harder and harder to find and are almost $17 per box. May be looking for something new in the near future.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Used copper solids for years out of my marlin slug gun and always had excellent groups and never lost a deer I hit with one....

Upgraded too the savage model 220 last year and Remington Accutips were what it like fed.... Still waiting for a deer too make a good target too try them out lol....

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
It seems every shotgun likes what it likes and almost no 2 guns are the same.
I have a 35 yr. old Rem 1100 smoothbore slug barrel and it shoots every brand of slugs in less than a 1.5 in. groups at 50 yds. That's all I need.
Good luck.