Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Klay's First Compound Buck

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
This story begins during the Stroud's hunt in 2012. Our very own Steve (Hoytmania) brought his son Austin's bow to the hunt and both of my boys (Kody and Klay) were both shooting it as we took our daily breaks from hunting. Steve mentioned that he'd be willing to sell it and I really liked how smooth the bow shot. After Stroud's we exchanged a few texts and then met up a few weeks later to seal the deal. Since then, Klay basically adopted the bow as his own and Kody saved up his own money to buy his own so we were all now set. All we had to do now was practice.
So, Steve... Thanks for selling us a fantastic bow!

Over this past summer both of my sons would go out and practice as much as possible and Klay was slowly creeping up to the needed 40 pounds of draw weight and swore he'd get there before the season. Those of you who have seen him know that he's a scrawny little fella, but he also has drive and intestinal fortitude. When he sets his mind to something, he does it.

By late August he had reached his goal and was still spending several evenings a week just going out to shot at the block. I would sit on the deck and watch and he continued to impress me with his joy in shooting.

As we headed into the season I was hell-bent on getting both boys a shot at a doe or a buck that "tickles your fancy", as I would tell them. As you all know, getting yourself a shot with a bow is hard enough. How in the world am I going to get two boys onto deer that will be in range for a compound? What a challenge! Of course, my dad (Old Scout) is along every step of the way.

As the season opened we would take both boys out. I would sit with one, he would sit with the other. As the season progressed and November came, our sightings of nice bucks grew more frequent. We had a few close calls, but nothing we could pull the trigger on the release for.

Fast forward to tonight, November 13, 2013. I had all of Klay's stuff packed up so that we could meet Pap (my dad) after school at the Crack Pasture. We started calling this farm the Crack Pasture because the doe have been flocking to this pasture for some unknown reason and we knew it was only a matter of time before the bucks would start following suit. Orginally, Kody was not going, but I flagged him down in the hallways at school and asked one more time if he wanted to come too. He declined. That move sealed the deal for Klay and we didn't even know it. See, if Kody would have went it was his choice on where to sit. It was his turn at first choice. He would have undoubtedly chosen the tent because we've had so many close calls there. Which means Klay would have been in the buddy stand with me. Instead, Klay got to sit in the tent and fate would have it that it was Klay's lucky night.

Since I was not in the tent with Klay, I'm going to tell this story from two points of view. Forgive me if I bounce around too much.
We had about 15 minutes of shooting light left and my area was dead. I texted my dad that I was going to leave my stand and walk to the edge of the field where I could see the tent and if anything might be lingering behind them where they can't see. Occasionally that would happen. He didn't answer my text. That's strange... So I get down and quickly walk across the upper field so I can look at the lower field where they sit. I step out into the field and see nothing. WOW! That's a rarity. I continue to glass and all of a sudden I get a text. This is when I find out why nothing was in the field.
Here's how it looked... (I come to learn that dad's cell service is spotty out there and he wasn't getting my messages and I wasn't getting his)

text.jpg

Then, I see Klay and my dad emerge from the tent. They are slowly walking down the field and I take off on a 200 yard sprint, straight downhill thank God! I see Klay looking back at me and I know he's laughing. When I get close I slow down because they are clearly sneaking up on something, but I have no idea what.

Here's pap's side of the story:
3 doe had come in from their left and walked past the tent at 20 yards. Klay was getting ready to draw on one and as he started to pull he balked. My dad asked him what's wrong and Klay responded "I can't". I later asked him what he meant and he said "I don't know... I just couldn't draw. I'm not sure if I was too cold or what, but something made me not draw."
Fate would tell me why.

As the 3 doe passed, my dad noticed a tall tined buck making his way out to check them. One doe took off like her butt was on fire and the buck went after her. He was now over 100 yards away. He zipped from in range to out of range just like that. Klay dropped his head in disgust, but Old Scout thought quickly. Pap hit the grunt call. The buck turned and looked and started back! He closed the distance to the bottom of the pasture which was about 60 yards away. He froze and pap hit the call one more time. The buck couldn't resist. He came straight back up and must've thought the grunting was coming from behind the small woodlot they were situated in. He closed to 30 yards and pap told him when he turned broadside use the 30 yard pin.

Klay drew... settled the pin... sends the Slick Trick on its way... the buck drops. He dropped in his tracks! Somebody upstairs must realize that we are awful at tracking because we were blessed with the easiest track job anyone could ask for. I later joked with Klay that the buck died of fright.

Back to my side: When I got down to the buck and realized that he had expired I gave Klay a giant bear hug and a high five. Klay couldn't contain himself. His adrenaline was so hyped up that he literally almost passed out. He had to lay down for a bit in the field!
As he lie there trying to get his bearings straight I went over to my dad and put my arm around him and thanked him for being there... AGAIN! I told him "thank you... I love you."

Words really can't describe how proud pap and I are of Klay right now. He was cool and collected (until after) and harvested an excellent buck. I told him on the way home that all of the hours of practice and preparation boil down to that one minute of crunch time and he made it all worth it.

I truly appreciate all of you guys on here that follow our hunts and wish us the best all the time. I also truly appreciate the guys who helped Klay with is shooting this past summer in Coshocton. He looks up to you guys and there is a part of all of you in this success story.

Here are some pics to wrap things up.

A pic from the field:
klay6.jpg

Hero pics at Pap and Nana's house:
group1.jpg

klay2.jpg

pap1.jpg

Last edited:

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Awesome stuff right there and a great recap of the events. I can just picture you sprinting down the field now. I would have made it but man I would still be standing there trying to catch my breath lmao.

Before Klay fell to the ground did he say "Give me a minute"? lol. Been there and done that myself and he will never forget that and how great a hunt it was.

I am glad to see the boys out there with Oldscout and they will cherish those hunts the rest of their lives. I never got the chance to hunt with my grandpa and the other did not hunt at all.

Soak it up Cottis clan. You guys are doing a great job. Congrats again Klay.

1hornwilly

*Supporting Member III*
Helluva deer and helluva story. Congrats to all of you guys...especially Klay. Good to know we've got another guy on here than can hold off buck fever until after the moment of truth and only then nearly pass out from adrenaline overload!

buckstar25

T-county
Awesome hunt man, it's amazing how things fall into place and pretty special when 3 generations are there to experience it! Congrats to your son, yourself and you dad.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
What a awesome event for the boy, grandpa. and dad. Congrats to you all.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
What an awesome hunt and outcome! I'm so glad ole scout and you were both a huge part of it! Ryan summed it up best.......PRICELESS!

Klay won't be able to sleep a wink tonight and school will be a blast while he shares his story with his friends!!!

Thanks for sharing your story and congratulations to the whole Cottis family! Good luck in a repeat performance with Kodys quest the remainder of your season! I will continue to be on your sideline rooting your family all the way!

AWESOME STUFF!

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Priceless it is! Nothing like that first one and being a family matter makes it even better! Congrats Klay ~~ You Deserve It Buddy! :smiley_clap:

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Wow, awesome hunt for all of you.... Now I can't wait for the IKS thread on Kody....

Old Scout and you have too be walking around a few in he's taller for the next few days lol...

Klay congrats on the first of hopefully many bucks too come..... Give your Pap a big ole bear hug for his part in your harvest!!!!!

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
Way to go Klay, that is what its all about. Congrats to you Mike, Klay and Old Scout.
That's pretty darn good even if your a Pirate fan rotflmao

Last edited:

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Great read, Mike! Just awesome and glad that your Dad was there with him. That's a memory that Klay will have the rest of his life. Old Scout, new what to do when crunch time came and Klay sealed the deal! Congrats too you ALL.

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
How awsome! A huge congrats to klay! I remember my first buck like it was yesterday. He'll never forget it! Congrats again to the while cottis clan.