Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

starting too set tomarrow

yotehunter

spencerville oh
Been busy trying to get my buck tagged since the the weather has turned cold and we have been busy shelling corn. So I'm gonna start my canine sets tomorrow after work. With the skiff of snow we got I did find several tracks when I drove the roads. So that help narrow things down. Its always a rush walking to your trap full of fur.

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Good luck this year!!!! We went to 100% snares on yotes and had good luck last year and ended up with 22. We used our deer scraps and bones then set trails that led to the pile. You can tell prices are going back up. Been seeing a few trappers and hearing about more people trapping. I think its great. The more trappers the better the rabbit and pheasant hunting gets. I got a ditch that i want to set some box traps in for muskrat before the big freeze hits.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
Good luck this year!!!! We went to 100% snares on yotes and had good luck last year and ended up with 22. We used our deer scraps and bones then set trails that led to the pile. You can tell prices are going back up. Been seeing a few trappers and hearing about more people trapping. I think its great. The more trappers the better the rabbit and pheasant hunting gets. I got a ditch that i want to set some box traps in for muskrat before the big freeze hits.
yea wish we had rats around. The last five years the rats have dwindled to almost nothing. Too many hawks coyotes cats etc etc. I still didn't get any set lol. I went too the treestand instead. It looks like its gonna be Saturday now. And yea I'm hearing prices are up a little and yea lots of overnight coonhunters come out when prices go up lol. I hate too use snares because we hunt a lot of hounds for the coyotes and I hate for the hounds to get in them. I do set them for coon around old buildings and such and they are the cats ass.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I'm going to give it a shot. Never done it before, any tips would be appreciated!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1385603632729.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1385603632729.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 151

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Stake them down good!!! I have some that i set where they craw under a chainlink fence and just hook them right to the fence. If you set trails you can use coat hangers straightend out to hang them from. What kind of areas are you going to set? If you get a deer or have got one or people you know get one get the left over bones and scraps and start a bait pile. Try to make it in a grassy area like a CRP field. You will see the trails they make getting to it if there isnt already one there and then just set the trail. It could take a couple days for it to settle down or you could get one right away. You have a lot of great fun ahead of you thats for sure. Gook luck!!!!

yotehunter

spencerville oh
I'm going to give it a shot. Never done it before, any tips would be appreciated!

They work I use a coat hanger with grade stakes too hang mine then I wrap the snare to the coat hanger with craft wire or small pliable wire. This makes them a little easier to hang at the height you need. My loops are a lot smaller becouse I set my snares for coon around buildings. But I think a 12 to 14 inch loops are recommended and set them about 14 to 16 inches high. I'm sure somebody will chime in a help you out. Good luck and most of all have fun.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Stake them down good!!! I have some that i set where they craw under a chainlink fence and just hook them right to the fence. If you set trails you can use coat hangers straightend out to hang them from. What kind of areas are you going to set? If you get a deer or have got one or people you know get one get the left over bones and scraps and start a bait pile. Try to make it in a grassy area like a CRP field. You will see the trails they make getting to it if there isnt already one there and then just set the trail. It could take a couple days for it to settle down or you could get one right away. You have a lot of great fun ahead of you thats for sure. Gook luck!!!!

I'll be setting mine in crp that leads to corn, and trails that I find in our woods. A guy that has permission to hunt a property that I do is a big trapper and he is going to help me out. Thanks for the advice guys!

Kaiser878

ohio
Good work...I caught one yesterday morning also.....uploadfromtaptalk1385725331815.jpg

I was really surprised my trap fired under 5 inches of wet snow and temps in the low teens. Makes me confident in how I'm winterizing.....that's for sure

yotehunter

spencerville oh
Keep up on the yotes guys good work. My canine traps have been empty for two weeks. Planning on pulling them and moving them and setting more sets out after gun week is over. Coon sets were doing decent until the cold snap last week and only 1 or two here and there now. Hopefully this warm spell will get them moving tonight and tomorrow. Keep up the good work on the yotes guys.