Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Carpns Buck Story .

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Last Monday I received the ok to hunt a few days on a piece of property I thought held alot of promise . The only catch was the landowner was hoping to lease the property for more than what it is worth for the rest of the season. So , while I could hunt at any point I could get the rug yanked away if someone was willing to pay his price . I threw a couple cameras out and low and behold on the 2nd night I got pictures of the bluck I would eventually kill . I had Fri and Monday off and planned to hunt hard 4 days straight. Fri I started the day on a diff property and saw 7 bucks and several does . One buck was a shooter but I wasn't able to get a good shot . Fri evening I hunted the new property and had a amazing hunt. There was a hot doe in the area and major chasing occured . I passed a number of deer including a 125" 9 point and saw a total of 9 different bucks . It was a exciting day in the woods . Saturday was a miserable day . I only saw 3 deer all day and that was right at dark . Sunday morning I jumped back to the property I hunted Fri am to give t

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
the other place a break . After a uneventful morning seeing2 dinks and 2 does I meet Jess and kai for lunch and then headed to the property to hunt . When I got there I talked with the landowner and he mentioned he might shoot a new pistol of his that evening, well his shooting range is about 100-150 yds from the stand and camera I was getting nightly pics of the buck . I told him I'd just grab my climber and hunt up on the ridge cause I didn't wanna inconvenience him at all. I walked up and checked that cam and there he was, bigger than Shit walking thru at 830 that morning while I was perched in a completely different property . What a kick in the junk , plus I'd just told the landowner I wouldn't hunt there that evening. Well , up on the ridge I had to go and all i saw was a doe with triplets and a flock of 60 Turkey.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Needless to say I was chomping at the bit to get in that stand Monday. I got in there a solid30 minutes before shooting time and settled in . As the woods grew lighter I scanned a logging rd to my left and could see a dark body about 80 yds away . Binos revealed it wasn't a shooter so I watched him walk towards me and take the corner and proceed around my other side. When he got even with me at 10 yds he locked up on something down the logging rd . He stood there alert for a minute the turned around and headed up the hill . I scanned behind me but couldn't see anything . A minute later I look down there and see a large bodied deer in the logging rd . I put the Binos on em and realize, not only is it a shooter , but also the deer I've had countless pictures of the last handful of days. He starts walking towards me as I ready myself and hook up my release . When he gets 25 yds away he stops and is smelling the ground where I'd walked after putting evercalm on my boots. Now, I know ya'll love that stuff but this is the last hunt I'll ever use it .

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
While i never had anything snort at it every deer that encountered it would lock up and start scanning the area . This buck and others reacted the same while on hunts where I went scent free the deer would cut my track without even a sniff and continue, but back to the story . So after a tense 5 minutes he cuts into the woods behind my stand and continues to sniff around . After a minute he commits and starts walking straight towards me slightly angled back to the logging rd. As he passes broadside at less than 10 yds I get drawn , settle in and start looking for a shot. He walks thru 2 decent holes and stops when he hits the edge of the logging rd. My pin settles in behind the shoulder and the suddenly the arrows gone . To my surprise he lunges with a load grunt and I see I didn't get a clean pass thru . After 10 yds he flings the arrow , crosses a ravine, and runs out of sight with his tail clamped to his but leaving me wondering if I made a good shot . I send a couple texts and notice a dark spot on the ground where he was standing.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
When I look thru my nikons it reveals a basketball sized bloody area directly where he was standing when i arrowed him . After waiting a hr I descend from the stand and take up the trail . There is good blood and looking at my arrow , as well as the bloodtrail reveals I did poke thru both sides of him . After trailing him 100 yds tho I'm starting to get worried. I can see a briary patch 30 yds ahead and decide to play it safe and back out . I go get breakfast still feeling confident tho . About 1030 I return. I'm able to drive my truck to where I stopped trailing him when he crossed a well rd . I change my clothes and start trailing him and don't go 5 steps and see him piled up . All my worrying was for nothing as I had actually heart shot him.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
I was getting pictures of him nightly. Just lucky to have thrown a cam in his core area from the beginning

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Great read Jake! Awesome buck TOO! Great shot placement and array of pictures! Thanks for sharing your hunt!

How in the heck did he bust off that massive beam tip?!? Dang!!!

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
I dunno, he broke off 3 points tho at some point tho . I don't have enough history to know what he actually grew