Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Custom String, Tuning and Arrows

blemas

Summit County
So, I have a 2007 Guardian that I want to keep going for another couple years and need to get the string replaced and the bow tuned. I have two questions and would like some input. Ideally I would like this to be a one stop shopping trip where I could get the custom strings and tuning done at the same time. I thought I had it squared away when found a guy on AT (Baldy's Archery) in my neck of the woods (NE OH) who built custom strings and was a Bowtech dealer but he had to close shop since he got TOO big TOO fast. I considered sending it off to a very well known shop in MO but I hate the thought of shipping my bow.

Do any of you have a recommendation on a custom string maker and tuner that you have been happy with? I don't mind making a drive to a place and I don't mind paying for good work.

My other question is about arrows. I am down to my last half dozen Carbon Tech Whitetails and want to make a switch when I get the string replaced. I have been shooting feathers and would like to switch to blazers or maybe even the NUFletch system. What arrows are ya'll sending down range?

Thanks and good luck to all of us that have not yet connected this fall!

Brian

blemas

Summit County
I was thinking about Crackers over on AT but I'm not excited about shipping the bow to MO. Besides, if MIlo does good work, I'd rather support a local guy, especially if he is a member here! Thanks to both of you, I will get in touch with Milo.

Now, what about the arrows?

blemas

Summit County
My draw weight is 60 lbs and my draw length is 29". I am running 100gr heads on my current setup. I am looking to get away from feathers since they always seem to get jacked up in the woods. I'm not opposed to DIY but I am a novice and don't want to make a costly error. I like the idea of the NuFletch setup referenced above as it gives you the ability to replace the vanes without a lot of work.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
My draw weight is 60 lbs and my draw length is 29". I am running 100gr heads on my current setup. I am looking to get away from feathers since they always seem to get jacked up in the woods. I'm not opposed to DIY but I am a novice and don't want to make a costly error. I like the idea of the NuFletch setup referenced above as it gives you the ability to replace the vanes without a lot of work.

Skip the Nu-fletch. I recommend Flex Fletch SK 200 or 300's and Blazers. Milo will get the bow all set up if he is available.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'll second Blazers. Milo also has a version OT2, so he can plug everything in to the program and spit out the best arrows set ups for your rig. He's a member here and lives Delaware County. Not a terrible drive for you at all. Especially for the quality of the work. Several guys from here have had their bows Skeeterized and we'd all send you there.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Brian, for me it depends on how quick your looking to get it done. Its hunting season and i'm a hunter. I will have time in December more than likely but right now is not the greatest. I work on emergencies as needed but a tune is doable if you drop off your bow and give me a couple days. Again December looks better. we can talk arrows if your interested.

blemas

Summit County
Milo,

Thanks for popping in! I don't want to have any work done till after the season is over. I don't want to be without a bow and would rather you save your time for hunting and to help those who need emergency mid-season work done. Definitely need to get new arrows, I will be in touch! Do you prefer PM or phone?

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Milo,

Thanks for popping in! I don't want to have any work done till after the season is over. I don't want to be without a bow and would rather you save your time for hunting and to help those who need emergency mid-season work done. Definitely need to get new arrows, I will be in touch! Do you prefer PM or phone?
either...you still have my number?

Skip the Nu-fletch. I recommend Flex Fletch SK 200 or 300's and Blazers. Milo will get the bow all set up if he is available.

Love the SKs vanes but I think blazers are overpriced for what you get....I used 2in Predator vanes as a more durable and cheaper blazer substitute..Since trying Flex Fletch SK300s I am in love.At least with them you get what you pay for.These suckers work great an are super durable without being super stiff....Im a big fan of 2inch Rayzr feathers as well

I ran some rough numbers though OT2 and your probably going to want something 340-350 spine or stiffer...Most companies make quality carbon shafts these days,so I wont throw out any brand names at this point..