Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

reo's not that exellent adventure

reo

N.E. Ohio
Got to camp on Tuesday 10/29. Skunked on Wednesday. The alarm went off at 4:30 AM on Thursday and I awoke to SEVERE pain in my left eye and very little vision. WTF? By 8:00 AM I decided to go to hospital. Not an easy task as the other eye seemed to be acting up as well and no one else was due to join me until the evening at the earliest. I set off with flashers on doing about 30 MPH down the state route and get to hospital about 40 minutes later. Scratched cornea put me out of commission until Friday afternoon.

Spent 12 days in camp and had a couple of hunts derailed by weather as can be expected in early November. Total deer seen from the stand(s) for over 60 hours of seat time? 7. 3 antlerless, 3 very small bucks and one shooter. Only the little guys offered an opportunity to shoot and I passed. There were 5 others in camp for the better part of a week and I was the only one to report seeing a shooter from the stand. There was one medium sized doe harvested by my buddies 24 year old daughter.

A sad, sad reflection of the state of our dwindling deer herd.

The bright spot of the trip was keeping up with what was happening with the Live Hunt and Recap thread when I had reception. Thanks TOO!

I will be back in camp Thursday night. You never know.....

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I hope you enjoyed your stay in spite of the obstacles! Eye pain is NO JOKE. I got an infection in my left eye several years ago while rifle hunting in TN. I crawled out of the stand and drove all the way home with one functioning eye. I thought I was going to die, so I stopped in an ER 40 minutes from my house. Nearly lost that eye, but didn't thankfully. That was the most painful month and a half of my life. And it all started with a scratch from a then 6 month old MASON!

Huckleberry Finn

Agreed on the eye pain. Got a piece of metal in my eye putting up a barn a few years ago. Coworkers didn't understand my urgency, you only get 2 friggin eyes so you had best take care of them. The numbing fluid was one of the coolest things I've ever done. Quick flush and I was good to go.

reo

N.E. Ohio
Thanks. The eye thing was traumatic at the time but I was 100% in 48 hours. Still mystified how I did it.

Gonna keep on trying and will be back in the stand Friday!