Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

He came running

matt hougan

Dayton area
Friday night I was in a tree hoping for a deer to wander under my tree stand. late in the day I saw a young buck enter the corner of a wheat field about 100 yards from me. He turned to walk away from me along the tree line so I grabbed my pack rack and did some rattling. To my surprise this young buck turned an ran straight for me. I was about 50 yards inside the woods from the wheat field. This buck stopped at the trail head leading into the wheat field stomping his foot for about 10 minutes. Finally he turned to walk away. I rattled again, he turned and ran back. Again he stopped at the trail head and refused to enter the woods, instead he starred into the woods trying to get a glimpse of the fighting deer. We repeated this senario three times before he entered the woods behind and then disappeared.

I never got a shot at him but it was really cool the way he responded to the rattling. I have never seen that before.

As I drove home reflecting I am almost positive that deer was curious, but not willing to take a butt whoopin from what ever deer were fighting in the woods. This is the only explanation of why he never entered the woods.

either way it was pretty awesome!

On a side note, I borrowed a older Summit Viper for this hunt. I had an open shot and a mini viper at home but I'm not getting in either of those. I get the to the tree and realize there is no climbing rail.....WTH! Now, keep in mind Im 43 years old 6'1" and around 250 pounds. I am not in good shape at all. Going up the tree wasnt too bad. Going down the tree I thought I was gonna die. My stomach still hurts, like I did 100 situps. Never again!

Last edited: