Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

On to plan B

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
With the rut sucking around here it's time for late season plan B. Shoveled this up today from where the farmer missed the grain wagon. There's 375 pounds in each barrel and 7 white bags. Plus one store bought bag. Probably about 1,500 pounds worth.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1384137876.775684.jpg

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I got the same plan my man! Bring on snow for the next two times I am home, and I am hoping to paint it red! Good luck!

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Now your gonna find out how many raccoons live in the area. mischeif.gif

The does love the corn and where the does go, the bucks will follow right now.
Any other time of the year our bucks are completely nocturnal... Best of luck!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Now your gonna find out how many raccoons live in the area. mischeif.gif

The does love the corn and where the does go, the bucks will follow right now.
Any other time of the year our bucks are completely nocturnal... Best of luck!

They're easy enough to take care of. Hopefully the bucks will show themselves when the snow falls and their bellys empty. Really I'm gonna run about 6 corn piles to try and locate them.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Consider 1 or 2 educated picks for the corn pile and maintain them longer than 6 small piles used up quick. If you put it out, they will find it. Make them come to a location set-up of your choosing. Should be fun to hear how you play it out! keep us posted and good luck !

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Consider 1 or 2 educated picks for the corn pile and maintain them longer than 6 small piles used up quick. If you put it out, they will find it. Make them come to a location set-up of your choosing. Should be fun to hear how you play it out! keep us posted and good luck !

I agree. The piles will be strategic, I have about 2 square miles to cover though. That's the reason for the 5-6. Plus I just want to locate them first. Once I do I'll likely cut back on the number and feed more at his location. They'll go in right after gun season and I'll feed heavy till end of season. I think the best way to hunt a corn pile is to put it out a ways from their comfort zone. Odds are they'll hit it at night no matter where you put it. But If I make them walk there maybe I can catch them coming back. Or catch them staging before heading to it. Pretty straight forward. Locate him. Find out where he's coming from. Cut him off. After gun they settle in to a pretty steady pattern. Without bonus gun this year that's more time that they won't get screwed up again. I'm pretty excited to have such a long period between gun and muzzy this year.

Last edited:

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Looks like a good plan is in the works.

Same thing I am going to do after gun season. Just ordered a feeder yesterday that holds 225lbs at a time ;) Make them work for it. Heading out now to knock down a few bandits. No need to feed their sorry asses in the process lol.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Looks like a good plan is in the works.

Same thing I am going to do after gun season. Just ordered a feeder yesterday that holds 225lbs at a time ;) Make them work for it. Heading out now to knock down a few bandits. No need to feed their sorry asses in the process lol.

I got the first load today and didn't get it put in barrels until later. With the rain forecasted tonight I needed to go get the rest. Travis and I rolled up about 8 and started shoveling. About mid way through I looked up and there was a coon laid up on a limb in the top of a cottonwood. If you've coon hunted you know what one looks like against the night sky. Must have been on the pile when we drove up. We got the corn bagged and I got the red headlight out of the truck. Squealed at him and saw eyes. Yep. Big ole coon laid out on a limb. We left the coon alone to finish the rest of the pile.

And if you believe that last part I've got a bridge for sale. Lol

Last edited:

LonewolfNopack

The woods
Thats funny. I have never been much of a baiter, always enjoyed hunting deer on their terms. However this weekend I came to the realization that I just can not compete with the dozens of corn piles that my neighbors have any more, and If I wanna start seeing deer, I am gonna have to break down and throw out some yellow. I really think that all the corn piles have changed deers natural movement in my area, causing them not to have to move to find food, and leading to lower deer sightings. Either way, I have 300 lbs of corn in my truck as I type this. From this year on out, I will run a continuous pile of corn from late October to after gun season.

Kaiser878

ohio
I feed A LOT bof corn at my dads for when I take kids out, or jen or if dad just wants to kill a doe quick.....but mark my word. I give it five years. Baiting will be illegal in Ohio due to its growing popularity.

J have the same mindset as you joe. If I hadn't shot my buck I had just the place in mind to dump a mountain of corn come post gun season

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I feed A LOT bof corn at my dads for when I take kids out, or jen or if dad just wants to kill a doe quick.....but mark my word. I give it five years. Baiting will be illegal in Ohio due to its growing popularity.

J have the same mindset as you joe. If I hadn't shot my buck I had just the place in mind to dump a mountain of corn come post gun season

I bet it won't even be five years. The DNR is chomping at the bit for a reason as is. But they need a reason like CWD so people don't complain so much when they do.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'm buying 40 bushels of ear corn soon. I may give up bowhunting until late season as is. One things for sure, it's a hood strategy for low deer numbers.

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Looks like whiskey making material to me LOL!!! Great score!!! The acorn crop wasn't that great this year so a nice corn pile should work pretty good!!!

Lundy

I call it Plan C:)

C for corn and coons

I dispense so little corn out of the feeders that it is nothing more than a short snack for the deer. If they want some of the corn they better show up shortly after the feeder goes of or it will be gone pretty quickly. I used to spread corn on the ground and it would be consumed in one night and I'm not real high on feeding large amounts of corn to individual deer. The cams show they would just eat and eat and eat. Not what I wanted to do, can't be great for the deer, at least according to some of the experts.

The last few years I have gone away from dumping corn on the ground and have put up automatic feeders. Some of the older bucks come to a feeder periodically, some don't visit very often at all.

The way the deer approach a feeder for the first time is much different that how they approach a corn pile. They are pretty skittish with a feeder and take a long time to actually get underneath it and start feeding. It is obvious on the cams which deer are seeing the feeder for the first time. A spread out corn pile is not reacted to the same way.

Just my opinion, if I want to try and attract a buck I use the Purina deer blocks(not mineral blocks)and just 3-5 lbs of corn spread out around it. It takes deer many many days to consume a deer block. The best block locations have proven to be in cover, 50-100 yds from a feeder location. The bucks can see the feeder location, watch other deer, but many never go the feeder but will visit the block all by their lonesome somewhat often.

My corn purchases have gone way down, 200 lb in a feeder will last 6 weeks. My block purchases have gone way up over the years.

This is one a videoed the first day of MZ season two years ago visiting a block feeder set up. I got a lot of video of this buck that MZ season

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGDQ5MQ6htY

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I had Dante dump a 50lb bag on the ground Friday. Checked it yesterday and it looked like it has not even been touched. Strange because I know the deer travel right past it as well as many many coon.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I plan to try this approach behind my parents place this year. I'm certain we can kill one doing this out there as it's setup perfect for it.

Treed

Stark County
I got curious about exactly what was roaming around my place out in Carroll Co. so I spread about 20 pounds of corn out Friday evening and stuck my Moultrie in front of it. Looked yesterday before I left and was surprised to see two different eights, a ten, several does and a fork. I don't think I would shoot either eight but the ten is a shooter for sure, he came in both Saturday and Sunday morning right around 7am. I spread out another 40 pounds and reset my camera yesterday before I came home. I plan to drive out there on Wednesday and restock the corn then hunt it this weekend.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Corn is worthless here right now for the bigger/mature bucks. You can see them in the background looking at the bait pile (25 yards behind the camera) but they won't come into eat it.