Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Happiness is....

BGarrett

Belpre
a steaming pile of guts, so my Dad says. I was able to tough it through the winds today and connect with this guy a little after 9.

deer2.jpg.

I'll post more later with a quick write up. I'm having problems getting the pics to upload from my phone.

BGarrett

Belpre
Today was only my second sit of the season. I had 2 of this years fawns come in right after first light (on doe and one buck). The little buck walked 5 feet from my ladder and didn't get spooked. I am come completely sold on the Scent Smoker. I preach the power of smoke.

The wind was testing my patience shaking my tree from all directions. I about got down but started scanning my surroundings. This buck was on a mission with his nose to the ground and moving quick. I lost sight of him and I seriously asked myself if I imagined seeing him. Within a minute he appeared in front of me at 20 yards. He turned broadside and I picked up my crossbow. I got ready to fire but the deer took another step as I drew. I hit him quartering away. I thought I hit him too far back but to my surprise he took 3 steps and tumbled head over heals and expired quickly.

I did end up hitting stomach but missed the rest of the guts. Thankfully the shot destroyed the lungs. We have this deer on trailcam from a week ago showing up at daylight. He's been rubbing and had some bark still on his antlers. His neck was just beginning to swell. This was the first sign of rutting activity we've seen out there.