Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Leaf Blower Time

I've been doing this for 3 years, now and it works. After the leaves are off, get the leaf blower out and clear off the trails/paths that the deer use or have been using or had been using. All critters don't like the crunching leaves under them, any more than we do. So, when it comes to having a choice, 7 out of 10 times they'll take the quiet path.

Even so, there are deer (usually the bucks or young deer) that will travel in whatever direction they want. Just the same, this task doesn't take that long and it tends to "channel" the deer onto a path of MY choice. Plus, I can see their tracks and have an idea as to how many deer are taking these paths.

Before:

After:

Bowhunter57

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Lol, I thought I was the only goofy one!

I do this too (not to the extent you do), and it works. I tried it a few years ago to help reduce the noise slipping into one of my two stands by the house. I quickly found out I was not the only one using the trail lol.

J, I wonder about the same thing, but it am an urban hunter so these noises and smells are nothing new!

J said:
Interesting..., what about the noise and smell of gas/oil????
"J",
It's a one time ordeal, so the deer get used to the sound/smell of the machinery. It's like some guys that I know, who cut trees for firewood, that say sometimes the deer get to within 30 yards of them while they're cutting with chainsaws. They're curious animals...to a point.

It's not like this is an everyday event and/or something that they have to adjust to happening frequently.

The results are worth it. Like this evening...I had all kinds of small game critters around me, that were bouncing on and off of the cleared trail. In days past it has only been squirrels. This evening, it was squirrels, rabbits and a opossum.

Bowhunter57

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Most deer will use my 4 wheeler trails. Blowing the leaves off will make for great still hunting when conditions are right. Deer hear and smell mowers, blowers, bikes or 4 wheelers year round. They get use to it. Its just the people on foot in their woods that scare them. Lawn mowers don't shoot at them... People on foot or in a tree do.
Blow away !