Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Moundhill's Blade buck

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
Well where do I begin. Ill start with this season in the summer. With work being busy this year I had lite time to scout and little time to try and pattern deer. As a matter of fact, had 0 bucks on camera until right after season started. Did it have my confidence down, sure. But I knew come rut they would come out of the wood works and appear. The neighbor has good plots galore and all the corn and beans they need. So every year the deer hang out there until November it seems like

Anyhow, ill fast forward to last weekend, as my early season was boring. So last weekend I was going to get up in my climber and set up in a new spot. Kind of just to scout. Well I finally messed around and got up in the tree and began pulling my bow up, when the bow rope snapped and my now fell to the ground. So after whispering a few select words I climbed down and got my bow. And decided to just say screw the climber and head up to my closest stand. After sitting for awhile, and just before dark, the buck I've been after for 2 years now showed up. 30 yards. Broadside. And me being an idiot I jerked and rushed the shot. Clean miss over his back.

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
So after this whole mess, I shot and shot my bow and finally had my confidence back to where I needed it. So all through the week I was looking forward to this weekend. I knew it was going to be good. I woke up at 4 and prepared a lunch for an all day sit. Getting in my stand was textbook. Quiet and swift, with about 10 minutes left of dark. I got nestled in and just sat. It was dead quiet in the woods. Perfect.

As the sun rises, I turn on my phone and send out a few morning texts to dad and buddies hunting. Then I got on TOO, like always, and put in a red man. I started reading Taylor's thread about his harvest on his buck last night. I got about two posts in when I heard leaves crunching to my left coming out of a bedding area. I'll also note that I grunted about 20 minutes prior.

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
So I look over and see a deer heading my way on a way beaten down trail. I stand up an eventually see that's it's a buck. Looks decent. So I grab my bow and patiently wait. As this buck is waking in I keep arguing in my mind whether or not to shoot. I finally make up my mind, and prepare myself. He walks from my left to kind of in front of me, but before the opening he cuts down the trail and heads away. Of course. But then he gets to the trail where I walked in and starts smelling around. I put ever calm on my boots prior. And sniffs around, then throws his nose in the air. THEN, turns and looks right through me. Busted. I knew it. But to my suprise he lowers his head and walked back up the trail that I walked up towards me. He then turns to his left and at 31 yards away, starts smelling around on the ground. Quartering away. I draw back and naturally calm myself. I get ready to release and last second I see a twig that might alter my shot. So I bend my knees a little, aim where I think is good and release. He ran like crazy. And I could see ruffled hair where my entry was. Looked perfect!

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
He ran down the ridge in front of me, and I thought I heard him stop. Then crash. But I wasn't all too sure because where my stand is, is about 90 yards from a road and I thought maybe he had ran across the road and that's my I didn't hear him keep running. Off course I ran all the bad scenarios over in my head. Maybe I hit him high in no mans land. Maybe it was shoulder. But in the back of my mind i knew it was a good shot. So I got down to inspect the scene to see no blood, no arrow. I just backed out and called dad. He drove down and met me at the road. We drove down the road to see if we could see any sign of him from the road. And beleive it or not, as we got to the bottom of the hill dad says "there he is right there!" I looked over across my dad into the woods and there he lay!! We parked by the road and walked up. Instantly I knew he had a pretty good mass. But as I got closer I saw the tines shrank. He's weak in the tine department. But after seeing his brows I didn't care lol. I'd do it all over again if I had the chance. After a few pics dad and I reverse tracked him. He ran no further than 50 yards. My arrow was still stuck in his opposite side shoulder broke off. I made a good shot and caught lungs. Here's what we walked up to

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1384027941.358753.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1384027838.609164.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1384027879.266340.jpg