Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Thankful...

Diablo54

Outside
This season started with high hopes. I was watching a lot of big deer all summer. And just like clock work after velvet had shed they disappeared like always. This is nothing new I'm used to it and I knew November would be here soon enough. My trail cameras weren't showing much but I had also lost interest in using them much. October came along and things had slowed down. I was seeing deer but they were few and far between. I ended up killing a doe in October one that I'm very proud of because of the broadhead. I kept hunting afterwords waiting for sweet November to come. It felt like forever but yes it finally came. Deer sightings increased and I was seeing some big big deer on the way to and from work this week. I wanted to be In a stand so bad I could taste it. Nothing like standing there at work watching bucks chase does. I kept checking the weather and since we work 4 tens I knew I would be able to hunt Friday. The weather looked perfect for rut activity and deer movement in general. So Friday morning I settled into a "sweet spot" next to a big bedding area with hopes of catching one cruising through or chasing. I never saw a thing and was dumbfounded. I went to town and did some things and came home to dad sharpening his broad heads and getting dressed. We talked about where we were going and he told me where I should go. So I got dressed and we smoked up together and went our separate ways.

Diablo54

Outside
He was headed to a great pinch point between a corn field and some bedding. We haven't really named that spot yet but I'm leaning towards the horse shoe or just the killer stand. I was going 400 yards behind the house to one of the best spots I know of to catch a buck cruising between bedding areas. I got in and climbed my tree I sat down and was jittery. I had that feeling! The feeling I get when I know something is going to die. I even wrote it on the live hunt thread. I got my arrow on and got all situated. I watched squirrels for a few minutes and then caught movement ab 70 yards Infront of me. I picked up my binocs and could see it was a button buck feeding under an old wooden treestand. I kept my eye on him and also the surrounding area. 10 minutes later I caught a glimpse of a deer cruising through. A small 4 point doing his rounds like a big boy. After watching him disappear I saw another buck do the same thing only he was a 110" 8 and he came a little closer. I watched him through my binocs and after he disappeared I got on too to see what all was happening. A few minutes later I caught movement to my right.

Diablo54

Outside
I picked up my binocs and could see rack headed my way. I only watched him for 2 or 3 seconds and decided he was a shooter. I slipped my binocs back under my coat and watched him work his way in. He was coming on a string at a steady walk. 50 yards 40 30 and then he took off walking to fast for me to shoot. I whistled 2x and he wouldn't stop. Finally he stopped and when he did his vitals were behind a tree. He was staring right through me. I knew I was done for and my heart sank. Then he put his head down and went back to walking. At 21 yards I pulled back and let it fly. It didn't look good. Not good at all. I was not happy with what I saw. He took off like a bat out of hell and ran through the brush. Then I would have sworn that I heard him crash. I waited 30 minutes and climbed down. I went to the impact sight and looked for blood. It looked pretty good. Not big piles but it was spraying and spraying out of both sides up and down trees. I backed out after walking 30 yards and went to the house. Then I waited for dad to come home so I could get his opinion on what we should do. He pulled in and I told him the story and he was pretty optimistic. I told him this deer would be my biggest yet because I really thought he was a 135" buck. However I don't think he is now. We took off through the woods and went to where I had shot him. Dad took off on the trail like a crazed dog and I was right behind him as he led the way. I am color blind and have a tough tough time seeing blood so for the first 200 yards I really wasn't sure we were on blood but according to dad we were. We lost blood for about 2 minutes and my heart was starting to sink. Then we found where he turned and slowed down and it started to look awesome. Big big piles of blood every 5 yards my hopes were up and I had a big grin on my face as we were following this.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383970250.767989.jpg

Diablo54

Outside
It had really opened up once we found the arrow Then after 100 yards of this blood it went back to the decent blood and I started to get worried. Just as soon as it had fallen apart he started leaving the big big piles again. We kept this up and came up to a spot where he had been zig zagging. I shined my light around hoping and hoping. Then after a few more yards we came out of the brush and onto a trail. Dad stopped and said I don't know which way to go. There's blood every direction. Then I shined my light to the left and there he laid 10 yards from us. His head was still up. A second shot ended it for him. I hate to see one suffer like that but I am very very thankful that I could put his suffering to an end.

Diablo54

Outside
Yes he shrunk bad but he got me excited and I have hunted hard all year. I am happy as all get out with him. It's sad to be done for the year but I will be back out with my camera before I know it. Good luck to all of you and thank you for reading this. You all mean a lot to me and I appreciate all the kind words that have already been given. Have fun out there!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383970857.890755.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383970898.144363.jpg

I'll have better pics taken tomorrow in the daylight.

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
And you got this done with the old school bow? Dude you are my hero, that is so damn impressive with all the new high speed compounds on the market and your still killing big bucks with a stick and string. Tay that is totally AWESOME. Congrats buddy.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Numbers don't do that buck justice Taylor.... He's a definite trophy.... Congrats on a great buck and the traditional way you harvested him....