Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Must read!

teej89

NE PA
Don't mean to scare anyone or be the bearer of sad news but it's always a good reminder especially with the rut en route and the excitement is starting. I attached an article below of an IN hunter who fell from his stand. This especially hits home for me since my dad fell 15-20ft this year without any injuries fortunately.

Be safe everyone and make sure you have your harness!

http://news.yahoo.com/injured-indiana-hunter-chooses-end-life-support-181336165.html

Last edited:

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Damn that was tough to read. It's crazy that at just 16 feet death is waiting if you fall and hit the wrong spot. He must of landed on his head.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
On the local news tonight that he lived 5 hrs. after being unhooked. What a shame as he was so young.

Shoulder Blade

Looking at a CDC report regarding fatal falls at work, out of the total of 91 incidents listed in the study, 41 falls or 45% of the total fatal falls were from treestand-type heights (6'-25'). Be careful!!

There's a treestand company that advertises on The Outdoor Channel and/or The Sportsman's Channel, that 86% of all falls from a treestand happen while in the act of climbing.

I have a Summit Viper (climbing stand) and as soon as I get into it, at the bottom of the tree, I fasten the safety harness to the tree...loosely. I move it up, the hand climber up and the platform up...and continue this process until I get to the height that I desire. At that point, I cinch the belt tightly to the tree, before making another move. I do the same thing, in reverse, going down.

This process doesn't take that much more time and after reading this story, it's time well spent. :smiley_bril:

Be safe out there, folks!
Bowhunter57

teej89

NE PA
There's a treestand company that advertises on The Outdoor Channel and/or The Sportsman's Channel, that 86% of all falls from a treestand happen while in the act of climbing.

I have a Summit Viper (climbing stand) and as soon as I get into it, at the bottom of the tree, I fasten the safety harness to the tree...loosely. I move it up, the hand climber up and the platform up...and continue this process until I get to the height that I desire. At that point, I cinch the belt tightly to the tree, before making another move. I do the same thing, in reverse, going down.

This process doesn't take that much more time and after reading this story, it's time well spent. :smiley_bril:

Be safe out there, folks!
Bowhunter57

I did the exact same thing when I used to use a climber. It adds almost no time at all to climbing the tree.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I do the same with my climber. What is the proper way to climb a ladder stand? I could see how someone could fall when trying to get tethered after climbing up and fumble fugging with the strap.

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
I do the same with my climber. What is the proper way to climb a ladder stand? I could see how someone could fall when trying to get tethered after climbing up and fumble fugging with the strap.

I want to know this too. I don't do stands anymore, but it always made me nervous trying to get up there and get turned around, etc., especially when the one stand had to have the seat straps hooked to work, and the pads were not allowed to be left in the stand, so this was something that needed done every climb.