Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Frustration With Neighbors

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
Saturday morning about 745 I get a text from my brother in law who is in his stand about 100 yards from me at the other side of our property. He is on the very edge of a cut bean field. Text says Buck in front of you. I immediately stood up and grabbed my bow. I look up into the field and just barely see him thru the remaining leaves. He is coming off the edge of the bean field into a little grassy field, walking the tree line. He crossed over my walk in path. I draw back as he is about to walk into what I thought was a clear opening in the trees to my right. Im looking right at a small branch behind my 30 yard pin. No shot. He turns directly to his right and goes onto the neighboring property which is 45 yards away. I tried to grunt him back over, it got his attention, but not enough. About an hour later I hear a bunch of people walking thru the woods 2 properties over. Making all kinds of racket. Not good for the late morning hunt. We give it about another 2 hours and call it a day. Sunday morning, after the time change, im expecting that same 8 point to take relatively the same path in he did the day before. 830 comes around and nothing. Then I hear a sound I never thought I would hear back in the woods in this area. A damn Bob Cat. Not the animal, the machine. Apparently the property where I heard all the people had just sold a few weeks ago and the guy was back there tearing down all the trees. I was not very happy to say the least. All I could hear for the next 2 hours was trees being bowled over by this douche canoe. Came out of the stand around 10:45 pissed off. I hope to God that he is done with what ever fu*k fu*k games he is playing by the time I get back out there. At first I thought, ok this might help push deer towards me. But the properties aren't wide enough for me to get that lucky. Any advice on how to deal with this gash on society?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
First off, be careful talking openly about breaking game laws. Not that anyone here really cares, but it is illegal to "use any device capable of transmitting or receiving a person’s voice to aid in the hunting or taking of deer." Just be careful of how you relay a story like this is all I'm saying.

Secondly, if the guy owns the property he is hardly a gash on society. There is no law that says you cannot enjoy your own land, or work on it during the rut. November is not off limits to other people just because we are out bow hunting. My opinion is you need to relax and realize the word does not revolve around you while you are in a tree. That goes for all of us. Shit happens we can't control and while it sucks, you have to roll with the punches. Hunt elsewhere and use him to your advantage. Think outside the box. But calling this guy a douche and getting all worked up over his rights to enjoy his land as he sees fit is not going to do anything productive for your hunting.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Sorry Dustin. I have to agree. If it was his property, he can do pretty much whatever he wants. It IS definitely frustrating. I know I was chainsawing some trees off a path one day and came up on a hunter in my woods. He didn't know the property lines. He came at me like "What the heck are you doing? Who gave you permission to be here?" I laughed and asked if he could read the NO Trespassing signs. I put them up. We are friends now and he hunts the neighbors property and respects the boundaries. Even calls to tell me what he is seeing which is cool and he doesn't have to. My point is, this dude probably felt exactly how you did. Unfortunately, it is my property, I was cleaning it up and providing firewood for my home, and he couldn't do squat about it. I didn't know he was back there. This guy might not have a clue you were hunting. Even if he did, why should he stop working on his property he recently acquired for someone a couple properties over? I guarantee you he was chomping at the bit to get in there and "do work" on his new paradise. Probably worked and saved a lot to make that his slice of heaven.

1hornwilly

*Supporting Member III*
I will say, "douche canoe" is about the funniest thing I have ever heard anyone call someone else. I can't stop laughing about it long enough to feel sorry for you. That's freakin' hilarious...rotflmao

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
I understand its his property. It was just frustrating. I had been waiting all week for this weekend. O well, Ill just have to keep trying. Don't have any other property to move to in order to use him to my advantage. I have 4 acres to hunt on and that's it. Public land is over run around here.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Dustin I had kind of the same thing happen to me but we are now friends. I would just try to focus on doe entrance and exit paths. Right now they are more worried about bucks bothering them than they are what humans are doing.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Milo has a point. Maybe try to meet the guy and introduce yourself. Might pick up additional ground to hunt. If nothing else, maybe he will drive by to see if your vehicle is there before he starts working next time.

epe

Lancaster
First off, be careful talking openly about breaking game laws. Not that anyone here really cares, but it is illegal to "use any device capable of transmitting or receiving a person’s voice to aid in the hunting or taking of deer." Just be careful of how you relay a story like this is all I'm saying.

Secondly, if the guy owns the property he is hardly a gash on society. There is no law that says you cannot enjoy your own land, or work on it during the rut. November is not off limits to other people just because we are out bow hunting. My opinion is you need to relax and realize the word does not revolve around you while you are in a tree. That goes for all of us. Shit happens we can't control and while it sucks, you have to roll with the punches. Hunt elsewhere and use him to your advantage. Think outside the box. But calling this guy a douche and getting all worked up over his rights to enjoy his land as he sees fit is not going to do anything productive for your hunting.

Pretty much exactly what I was gonna type, but didn't have time....Equipment won't bother deer...

teej89

NE PA
Milo has a point. Maybe try to meet the guy and introduce yourself. Might pick up additional ground to hunt. If nothing else, maybe he will drive by to see if your vehicle is there before he starts working next time.

true story, if he's running a bobcat in November my guess is he's not a hunter. Walk on over there with some summer sausage at hand and shoot the shit with him and never know you might be adding to those 4 acres.

When life gives you lemons, hey jack, you make tea. Lemonade is for sissy's.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Pretty much agree with everything that's been said. Go meet him and maybe he'll slow down his lumberjack operation and let you hunt. But don't go over there acting like a douche canoe.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Rottenecards_63283110_r6pjg8rgd6.jpg

Milo

Tatonka guide.
If I'm on a team next year I'm calling dibs on team douche canoe!!!that shit cracks me up

LMAO Douche Canoe.....that's one for the books!!

I'm with the rest on this one Dustin, as frustrating as it may be. I agree with the others too, if he is doing this stuff now it's very likely he isn't a hunter and may turn into a good opportunity. Either way, he likely has a timetable he wants to get stuff done on his new property before winter so I'd say the deer will get used to what he is doing and yes it should play into your hands. The neighbor to our property down in Ohio sold off 4 acres that borders our one corner and soon they bulldozed several big trees and pushed them up to our property line so they could build their new house. When that happened I was pissed but at the same time could understand. Little did I know they actually helped us neck the deer down on our property with all those trees and the new house. I was about 250 yards today from their home when I shot my buck this morning.

Gordo

Athens County
What others said.

Just +1 to all the other variables involved in deer hunting.

Guy would have been a hero if he would have pushed that buck to ya