Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Only me!

buckstar25

T-county
Too save the agony of reading the events I will give you the painful details.

Trimmed out a hickory tree that was close to a stand I wanted to try. Decided I had everything trimmed and grabbed my bow ( brand new Mathews Creed). Wanted to make sure I had enough clearance to draw, haphazardly drew my bow. Bowstring slips the cam, punch myself in the mouth, sit there dumbfounded watching the idler wheel spinning freely......I looked at bottom limb.... Shattered.....I was sick!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383654511.697584.jpg
Thankfully I still have my old Hoyt. More to the story but unless I fall out of this stand my vacation can only get better!

teej89

NE PA
oh man that's awful! Brand new too? Better bitch em out and say something how you're switching back to hoyt. May get hooked up with a 2014 Creed lol less that's what you already have

buckstar25

T-county
I'm not sure what happened, got an idea but yeah it is a sickening feeling! I put a lot of time into shooting that bow this year!

buckstar25

T-county
Thanks guys, positive thoughts!! Haha, what a memory if I get to connect with the old Hoyt though!

Why can't they ever be the big ones.....
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383660120.329744.jpg
Tomorrow's wind should allow me to get to my honey hole!

buckstar25

T-county
I drew the bow 3 times, the first 2 the rest never came up. Could the cable have been slipping then? The third time 3/4 draw it let loose. Rest works fine when I pull down on the cord....

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I drew the bow 3 times, the first 2 the rest never came up. Could the cable have been slipping then? The third time 3/4 draw it let loose. Rest works fine when I pull down on the cord....

Hopefully you have a good dealer. The will probably fight it saying you dry fired it. Good luck.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I feel your pain. I got a new one this year as well. Shot a bunch and was feeling "at one" with the new bow. Long story short, it is in for repairs as well. Be thankful you didn't get hurt. Be thankful you had a back up bow. Be thankful you are still out there hunting. I was soooooo looking forward to drawing blood with the new bow this year as well. First blood drawn this year was with my old bow. haha Go figure.

buckstar25

T-county
Hopefully you have a good dealer. The will probably fight it saying you dry fired it. Good luck.

I hear ya, the crazy, and scary part is the second time I drew the bow, I wasn't really paying attention and the wing ( or bleeder blade) of the Swhwacker broadhead slid behind one of the machined slots on the shelf. So I'm at full draw with a broadhead wedged in my riser. I managed to knock it out and let the bow down. The next draw cycle is when it let loose ( on the draw).

buckstar25

T-county
Ok, so after some help and describing what happened in my stand I think the problem was found.

I shoot the Trophy Taker Smackdown Pro, I am still dumbfounded as to how it happened but one of two things happened. One, the rest was manufactured incorrectly and the red spring cap/cam that the cord attaches to was backwards. Two, someone took it out of the package and messed around with it. Or the third is that it is just a bad design. It was found that with the cord to the side (see pics) the rest would not come up. I tried with 2 hands to get the rest to come up and couldn't. If the cord was moved to the top of the cap the rest worked fine. What is believed to have happened was the cord was to the side, as I drew the bow the cord came tight against the rest but wouldn't allow the rest to function. All the force (72lbs) and torque was directly transferred to the cable. I believe this caused the slipping and ultimately the explosion! The spring tension screw had to be backed out in order to turn the red cap the correct way, as it is now the rest works with the cord at any position.

If you notice the location of the cord you will see it is off to the side of the spring housing.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1384349188.294178.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1384349202.018386.jpg

Milo, Been, your thoughts on this? I wanted to get it out to anyone shooting the rest and let them know to make sure if you have it set-up as a drop away to check different positions of the cord. At any rate, I have a new bottom set of limbs and am back shooting (still a little gunshy though).

buckstar25

T-county
Notice the angle of the red cap, backwards was a bad description. It was rotated at a steeper angle, down towards the cam. There looks to be 2 positions that can be used.