Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Decoys..... starting to look like birds

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
Well I've been tinkering with making my own dekes for a little bit now and have learned a lot..... BUT now it was time to test my painting skills. These aren't really setup to hunt yet but could very easily be. My next batch will be hunt ready from the get go. I know these paint schemes aren't perfect so PLEASE feel free to criticize but realize these will be gunner dekes and not show dekes.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Yep, you'll kill birds over them Zach. No doubt. The paint schemes look good & shooting birds over dekes you made is awesome!!

The only thing that jumps a bit is that they have some sheen to them, maybe from still being wet?

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
Yep, you'll kill birds over them Zach. No doubt. The paint schemes look good & shooting birds over dekes you made is awesome!!

The only thing that jumps a bit is that they have some sheen to them, maybe from still being wet?

Yea they are still wet in these pics. I plan on trestle coating them to cut down the sheen but I wanted to practice the pattern on a few flawed birds before I went all out on the good molds.

countryhunter50

Look good...I'm trying to find some old plastic divers to paint...then maybe some day try the molding. I don't think I have time for that with my little one. I like the 2 min spray paint job for my divers right now.

Derek j

Knox Co.
They look good Zach! I have found that the harbor freight airbrush and some waterproof paint really do a good job on small details. You will love hunting over your own dekes!!

Milo

Tatonka guide.
How did I miss this...Zach they seem to be a little shiney. Are they or is it just the light? It might be too fancy but I like the look of a fan brush with a light overlay of gray for feather detail but I'm picky. Also I would touch up and do a second coat on that white. That is what they see from long distances

Last edited:

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
How did I miss this...Zach they seem to be a little shiney. Are they or is it just the light? It might be too fancy but I like the look of a fan brush with a light overlay of gray for feather detail but I'm picky. Also I would touch up and do a second coat on that white. That is what they see from long distances

Paint was still a little wet and out garage has intense bright lights. After talking with Longdraw I'm going to restle coat them. I just boat a fan brush to be able to do a little more detail on the bluebills. They both have feather detail but I didn't go to crazy on them. I agree on the white, I was just worried it would look unnatural being TOO white but I agree with the distance concept of them needing to see something.