Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

It wasn't supposed to happen like this!!!

Droptine

Medina, OH
Tonight was the first afternoon I have been able to hunt this season. I have permission to hunt 15 acres in Medina, but only with my neighbor(he actually has permission but he can bring 1 person with him). He typically hunts rifle season in NY so I have been teaching him bow hunting tactics. I have been running cameras since August and putting out corn weekly. I set up two of my tree stands one for each of us. I basically have been taking the lead.

We have had only 1 good buck showing up on camera all season. He has not had any pattern, but shows up during legal hours about once a week. The rest were spikes and 6 points and about 4 does. The good buck is a huge wide 6x6 with a sticker on his base. To me a buck of a lifetime. Our schedules have only aligned two days before today and we didn't see a deer. Today we hunted the morning and again saw nothing. This afternoon we get to our stands about 2:45 and I spook one of the small bucks getting on stand. I figure that was the only thing we would see so my expectations were not high. About 430 I catch movement from where the 6 point I spooked came ran off to. Then I notice it is the giant as I see his rack at about 75 yards. He is coming on a string. Right at me the whole way he comes to 15 yards looks right at me. I thought he was going to turn and take off. Instead he just turns quartering away and starts to walk. He gets to maybe 18/20 yards and I grunt to stop him. He stops I put the pin on him and hit my release. I hear which and as he runs away I see my arrow high on the shoulder blade only about 6" of penetration. I don't know what happened if I rushed the shot, jerked the release, or just had buck fever. He runs right by my neighbors stand and I hear his crossbow go off.

I get down and and we meet. He missed and I find my arrow broke off with about 6" of penetration. My neighbor saw him run down the hill and cross the street. We only find a few specs of blood and track him for 200 yards by his tracks and find a small spec of blood every 30-50 yards. I know it was not a fatal shot, but I also know I will never see this deer again. There are no other shooters on this property so I feel like I blew my whole season. It is a tough pill to swallow. I am sorry for the long post but I have to vent. I have attached trail am picture of this buck. I am trying to post a trail am pic of this buck but I can't figure out how on my iPad.

Droptine

Medina, OH
image.jpgimage.jpg

huntn2

Hudson, OH
Don't say never. I know someone on here who hit a buck high last year with a non lethal hit and then got a second chance and killed him 1 week later.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Damn that sucks. Definitely a nice buck. I know you're discouraged right now, but if that's a no lethal hit, chances are he's going to stick tight to his core area while he recovers. You very well may get another crack at him. Just keep hunting hard.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Damn that sucks. Definitely a nice buck. I know you're discouraged right now, but if that's a no lethal hit, chances are he's going to stick tight to his core area while he recovers. You very well may get another crack at him. Just keep hunting hard.

Ditto Droptine. Sorry it happened like this but just keep on keeping and he might come back around for you. Good luck!

jeremy44230

Medina County
Don't get too down on yourself! Tons of time left, you absolutely do NOT know that he won't be back. Something else may show TOO, just be in there and ready. We all know this sickening feeling you have. Good luck bud.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Keep At It Man! Can't kill him from the couch! Wouldn't be afraid to look some more either. Watch for buzzards and crows flocking around in an area......Anything can happen in November.....Good Luck!

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I know where your coming from. I posted a thread called "somethings got to give" about me missing a nice 8 point and just this year being crappy in general. I never said anything about this though. Yesterday morning a stud buck snuck in when I was looking the other way, he was 15 yards in front of me broadside. I didn't think I could stand without spooking him so I shot sitting down. Hit him high in the shoulder, tracked him for 200 yards then it started raining. Never found him. He got the arrow out 30 yards from where I shot him and I found it sticking out of a corn stalk with blood 6-7 inches up the arrow. After all this I am still hunting in the morning before work. Keep your head up man, you ain't the only one having it rough!

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
And that buck I hit in the shoulder yesterday is one that I have never seen on trail cam. They travel far in search of some ass so don't be surprised if another big boy shows up.

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
you might have been bumping him as you were looking. get back out there and look some more. That 6" could have been in and down and the broad head could have done more damage than what you think.