Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

public land and guided hunt info need

bowhunter1

Hey guys, i am thinking of going on a hunt the last week in oct "14" with Whitetail Outfitters of Ohio, TY McCombs, has any one her hunted with him in the past 2 or 3 years? any info on this outfitter would be greatly appreciated:smiley_confused_vra Also i would like to hunt the Piedmont Lake ( Egypt Valley) public hunting area next deer season, does anyone hunt there or has hunted in that area? what caliber of deer are there and is there a hunter in every other tree??? The reason for the info needed i am moving into the area and just trying to get a early handle on next season. Or is there another public hunting area that has some room ? I am open to lease info also... Thanks for any info in advance:smiley_clap:

bowhunter1

WOW!!! Longdraw, thats a to the point review. With out making ya up tight can I ask why? i am thinking about paying him 2k for a guided hunt and would like any info i can get to help me with my choice.

Longdraw

Central,Ohio
Ty put a food plot on the property line of my grandpa's property so my grandpa put a stand right on it,,well Ty seen him in it and walked up to him and said he was gonna kick his @ss if he climbed down,,,,and my grandpa's 74yr. old,so does that tell you what kind of guy he is

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
My daughter and his daughter played softball together. I was not impressed with him......at all. Pompous ass comes to mind.

ImpalaSSpeed96

NJ
That's funny, his website portrays the exact opposite of him!

Personally, I'd never pay anyone in Ohio. There is so much public land with Booners on it, just go and hunt. I'm going on my 4th year of public hunting. I'm never bothered in my piece and I know deer in the B&C are pulled from there every year, I found out about it from a local taxi who mounts at least one 160 out of there every year. Some are hit harder than others, Dillon immediately comes to mind. However, there is something like 35K acres of AEP land you can hunt. And if you want to, you can get in there and never be found… The piece I hunt is just over 4K and I'm going to bounce around this year. Not a ton of deer, so you have to find the sign. Nobody said it's easy, but if I can kill a P&Y on public ground, I'd never pay someone to do it for me.

bowhunter1

Thank all of you for the response, i am going to be new to the eastern part of ohio . i am also looking at Egypt Valley public hunting area?? I will defiantly take everyone's advice and steer clear of that outfitter!!! have any of you hunted Egypt Valley ( Piedmont Lake) area?? what caliber of deer in that area?? The Wayne National Forest is also a big tract??? do these get the crap knocked out them from heavy pressure??

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Egypt Valley Wildlife area and the piedmont lake region, I hunt it every year and my dad has hunted it since the coal companies owned it.

Caliber of deer: In the last 4 years I have only seen one 8+ pointer that I would have shot at (actually I did and I missed). My personal requirements are a mature 3.5+ year old with at least an 8 point rack. I have seen lots of younger 8 pointers but I try to let them grow even though its public and the odds are not always in their favor. A few bruisers come out of there each year but you either have to get lucky or put in some time to find them. During the gun season it gets hit pretty hard by the amish and some other groups of hunters doing drives. That being said its a pretty huge area and you can definitely find spots either thick enough or far enough away from a road that they dont' get much if any pressure.

The areas around Piedmont lake don't seem to get quite the same pressure as the Egypt Valley areas around SR800 do. We haven't been hunting those areas as long but still see deer.