Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Women and Sportsmen's Clubs.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
I went and shot a few rounds of skeet this morning at a local club. A young lady showed up to shoot, I guess she's been coming some because the regulars knew her. Long story but she ended up using my .410. Found out she has a GSP and is getting into bird hunting. She also just ran her first marathon. Nice, pleasant girl around 30 years old.

Now here is the part that floored me. I guess she's trying to join the club and has gotten some flack because the club doesn't have any women members and apparently some guys like it that way. There were at least 3 members there this morning and they are supporting her membership.

In this day and age it's hard to believe that she wouldn't be welcome.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I am torn on the subject and can see it both ways.

Same with me. I hunt with my wife and she can out shoot a lot of men, so I lean towards letting woman in. However I understand the "boys club" aspect of things. Papaw always said: "Bitches be crazy foolio." lmao

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
She's single and wants a place to train her pointer and practice shooting. Since the ODNR has done such a bang up job with upland game about the only way to get dogs on birds is with pen raised birds. This club is one of the few places that raises and releases pheasants (for members only).

I've had some close ties to several sportsmen's clubs. There is no shortage of petty bickering, backstabbing,and cliquishness at any of them and most are all men. Not sure how women could make it much worse. Maybe being around the girls shooting in 4-H makes it seem more normal to me that women are interested in these things on there own and not just because of a husband or boyfriend is doing it.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
She's single and wants a place to train her pointer and practice shooting. Since the ODNR has done such a bang up job with upland game about the only way to get dogs on birds is with pen raised birds. This club is one of the few places that raises and releases pheasants (for members only).

I've had some close ties to several sportsmen's clubs. There is no shortage of petty bickering, backstabbing,and cliquishness at any of them and most are all men. Not sure how women could make it much worse. Maybe being around the girls shooting in 4-H makes it seem more normal to me that women are interested in these things on there own and not just because of a husband or boyfriend is doing it.

Yep. I have both perspectives. Things aren't as clear as they used to be...for me.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Yeah, although I understand both sides with the decline in numbers using the clubs you'd think it wouldn't be an issue.... But you have the guys with the mindset that it's a mans club and no women allowed..... Kinda ancient way at looking at it....

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Our gunclub was boys only till about 15 yrs. ago. Then we realized with the Federal law as it is you are going to loose if pushed. Some members thought the curtains and pink paint would show up. Hell they even removed all the windows in the club room to prevent the curtains.
Besides it's something different to look at. The gals have blended right in with no problems.
We have maybe 25-40 ladies join and some daughters at age 18 join.

Last edited:

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Yeah, although I understand both sides with the decline in numbers using the clubs you'd think it wouldn't be an issue.... But you have the guys with the mindset that it's a mans club and no women allowed..... Kinda ancient way at looking at it....

Down here in SW Ohio there is no decline in membership. We have a frozen club at 800 members plus about 30 Life Members and a waiting list of 2 yrs. The waiting list would be 3-4 yrs. be we put a cap on the waiting list number. We loose about 80 members every October when 75.00 dues come due.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
I'd guess I'm a 1/2 hour drive to 12-15 clubs. Most are struggling for members, including this one. The biggest local club advertises on the radio for new members. This one had a huge fight a few years ago lost a bunch of very active members. It's starting to come back.