Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Coyotes and no deer...

In the area that I'm bowhunting deer, it appears to be overrun with coyotes. I seen my first deer (all season) this morning, but no coyotes. However, this evening, about 30 minutes before legal time was over, I heard coyotes yipping and howling again...and no deer.

I've decided to keep on bowhunting for deer, but there's going to come a time when I'm going to have to face the facts and hang up my bow, get my rifle, caller, motion decoy and get after some coyotes. Hopefully, I can get a buck killed before that happens. Just the same, it's very annoying having to put up with the coyotes' interference with the deer's movements.

Has anyone else experienced this much trouble with coyotes?

Thank you, Bowhunter57

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I have more experience with coyotes than you or the DOW can imagine. Kill them. Don't screw with hunting them, you can't kill enough. Learn to snare them, snare them in February and March (timing is critical IMO) Don't shoot does, and get others around you to NOT shoot does. After a couple of years, you will see deer again. Keep killing coyotes as a routine part of your season preparations. KILL THEM!

brock ratcliff,
I agree with everything you've said...and I have stopped shooting does in this area for the last 3 years. I have yet to get a shot on a coyote, while bowhunting, but rest assured I will NOT let one pass my stand without killing it.

Bowhunter57

rooster85

Lake County
I try and kill every one i see. Had two come in last week working a flock of turkeys, they stayed just to far out of range though. If it had been gun season id have two more pelts hanging. Good luck with killing them, I'm not sure how your property is set up but we used to kill a few and hang them on fences, especially during calving season, and that helped keep them out.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
Bow hunter not to be nosey but what part of the county are you hunting. We hunt the piss out of them with the hounds and do fairly well thinning them out. We usually don't start till after gun season so we don't mess up peoples deer hunting.

yotehunter,
I'm just south of U.S. 30, on S.R. 115.

As soon as I get a buck killed, I'm going out after coyotes. If I don't get a buck killed before the Deer Gun Season, I'll definitely be after the coyotes after that season.

What breed of hounds are you using? Walkers, Black & Tans, Redbones? I know some guys near Arlington and over by Venedocia that use Airdales and Greyhounds. Interesting mix of dogs, when they run together. The Greyhounds will run the legs off of the coyotes, but won't confront them...just wait for them to run some more. The Airdales, on the other hand, will run the coyotes down and shred them to pieces.

Bowhunter57

Flatlander

Darby Creek
My son shot a nice 8 pointer a couple of weeks ago, he called me and said he made a perfect shot, I told him to sit tight and I'd be out of my stand and be there in 30 minutes. We found the blood trail, massive blood, could track it from 20 feet away so we were on the deer within minutes. In that short amount of time, maybe 40 minutes from the shot, the coyotes had already eaten both hind quarters! We started snaring them last year but it appears we still have a lot of work to do.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
yotehunter,
I'm just south of U.S. 30, on S.R. 115.

As soon as I get a buck killed, I'm going out after coyotes. If I don't get a buck killed before the Deer Gun Season, I'll definitely be after the coyotes after that season.

What breed of hounds are you using? Walkers, Black & Tans, Redbones? I know some guys near Arlington and over by Venedocia that use Airdales and Greyhounds. Interesting mix of dogs, when they run together. The Greyhounds will run the legs off of the coyotes, but won't confront them...just wait for them to run some more. The Airdales, on the other hand, will run the coyotes down and shred them to pieces.

Bowhunter57
Yep seen one there a month or so ago where lugibills farm on the west side. We hunt running walkers on them. I used to hunt up that way with the Stewart Osting bunch, years back. I have some relation in that area also that I use to deer hunt with that way. Who has the air dales you speak of ? As far as the yotes there are a lot along sugar creek. Between there and Goodman's ground off of 65. I'm sure if you let dick Hefner know I'm sure his bunch would love to help you out. We usually don't go that far east we try and stay out of there groups territory's and they respect ours. But I do know they used to hunt a lot up that way, the old bow club the traction line and around drivers farm. I'm sure if you would stop and ask Aaron or Ervin driver they would let you get after them on their properties

yotehunter

spencerville oh
Yep seen one there a month or so ago where lugibills farm on the west side. We hunt running walkers on them. I used to hunt up that way with the Stewart Osting bunch, years back. I have some relation in that area also that I use to deer hunt with that way. Who has the air dales you speak of ? As far as the yotes there are a lot along sugar creek. Between there and Goodman's ground off of 65. I'm sure if you let dick Hefner know I'm sure his bunch would love to help you out. We usually don't go that far east we try and stay out of there groups territory's and they respect ours. But I do know they used to hunt a lot up that way, the old bow club the traction line and around drivers farm. I'm sure if you would stop and ask Aaron or Ervin driver they would let you get after them on their properties
I ment to say criders farm ground not drivers damn auto correct lol.

yotehunter,
I used to land apply some fertilizer on Crider's property, on Beery Rd., north side, just west of Cole St.

I'm going to be hunting mornings and evenings this Thursday through next Monday, for deer. If my hunts get interrupted by coyotes 1 more time, my bow is going on the rack, I'm picking up my .25-06 and shotgun and go on a murdering spree for coyotes. I'm going to treat the sections in my area like a Valentines Day massacre. :smiley_asswhip: I get about 4 out of 7 days of deer hunting and the other 3 or 4 are all about the coyotes.

I had a coyote spot me in my stand, Tuesday evening, at 45 yards and it started yipping and howling like I'd poured hot water on it. Yet another evening without deer. After I shoot that coyote I'm going to kick a mud puddle in its' ass and walk it dry. I've had enough! :smiley_cowboy:

Bowhunter57

Last edited:
Well, since I put one on the ground, perhaps the deer will be less likely to enter the woods that I'm in and move as normal...or at least like they have in the past.

I gave this one a dirt nap with my .25-06, that bang/flopped this bitch in the ditch. :smiley_blink: A 45 lb. female.
I'll go back in a few days, for another blood letting. :smiley_asswhip:

Bowhunter57