Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

The mishap in the fence gap....For the buck that is

Kaiser878

ohio
This year has been a very random year for me. Its the first time I haven not laid a doe down before November... Although, it was for a good reason. I had a deer I was hunting from the start. I invested about 2.5 weeks into hunting him and decided he was only 3 years old.

So that put me back on the hunt for a bigger deer. Soon there after a old friend showed back up that I have had photos of for 3 years now..I spent a week bouncing around hunting him and realized he was not staying on the property I could hunt, or even relatively close....

About a week and a half ago another deer showed up and I started putting a little more time into hunting him. I spent a few evenings in this stand without a sighting..... Only to check my cams a few days later and to see the days I didnt hunt the stand because of wind, he was there.....

Thursday night proved to be a little to miserable for me to sit in a stand....So I waited until last night to sneak back in there.... I also currently have two buddies here from Pa who come hunt with me every year..I had them situated in their stands also....

At about 430 one of them sent a text saying big buck at 30 yards.... Unfortunately he didnt get a shot and he never saw the deer after that.... At 600 my other buddy texted me and said he had shot a good buck..... So at this point I was pretty excited...

Myself, I started seeing deer around 430..the first deer i saw last night was a great up and comer 8 point...He walked out the oak ridge along the field... Shortly there after does started filing into the field... by 545-6 I had seen 15-20 deer and it was chaos..I had deer in every direction and had 2 smaller bucks bumping does all around.. After they had successfully ran every doe out of the field, they both drifted off into the timber... Shortly after they left the does started trickling back into the two fence gates...about 615 I looked down and stay a good buck walking along the woods... He put his head down and I immediately noticed the beams....I knew it was the new ten.... He made it to about 80 yards before letting out a loud roar and lunged at the group of does by him....They scattered and he started my way...

at this point I had about 7 or 8 does within 20 yards of me in all directions... I couldnt move...My bow was resting on my thigh and I was stuck.... He closed up to about 25 yards and I had a small hole to shoot...but I didnt risk moving ...Just then I moved my head slightly to see where the does were and a big nanny caught me..... She had that "i got you" look in her eye and she hunched down and started backing up...My heart sank and I knew it was over....Just then the ten let out another load roar and lunged at her and the group of does around her...They scattered like water bugs.... I took a sigh of relief and readied my bow.... he took about 4 more steps and he was in an opening... I drew, settled my 20 yard pin in his crease and let fly.. I heard that unmistakable hollow crunch and knew.....His time was up

He ran into the field and at about 70 yards his back legs turned to jelly...he stopped and it was like someone hooked a 200lb weight to his nose....Ass over tea cups he went..... Game over...

As others mentioned before....This year has been unbelievable... Wife, house, baby....big buck... Ill take it..... Last year left a sour taste in my mouth..... but I figured eating a tag was bound to happen sooner or later.... But this year has made up for it ten times over.. I will post more photos later...

My buddies deer.

My deer

Attachments

• IMG_20130920_131501_346_zps3f177aed.jpg
    IMG_20130920_131501_346_zps3f177aed.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 38

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Great read and awesome hunt Zach! Congrats on your awesome year! Congrats to your buddy on killing his great looking buck as well! Awesome stuff!

buckstar25

T-county
Congrats agin man, funny how quickly things turn around. Last time we talked would you have predicted a night like that?? Man, you are sooooo "lucky"! Haha! Congrats again!