Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Brisket without smoke??

buckstar25

T-county
We usually do ribs one night in camp, slow cooked on wood stove with Yuengling and home made rub. When everyone is back we finish them off over the pit, they turn out amazing and am wandering if anyone has ever done brisket with a smoker? I have an idea how I want to try it but any suggestions or tips will get put to use.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Cook at 225 for 12hours in foil with a little Can of coke and season to taste.

buckstar25

T-county
Cook at 225 for 12hours in foil with a little Can of coke and season to taste.

Thanks Milo, since we got a power inverter I should be able to keep the oven at that temp. I am still doing a little research on it, found some interesting tips so far.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Thanks Milo, since we got a power inverter I should be able to keep the oven at that temp. I am still doing a little research on it, found some interesting tips so far.

Brisket can't take heat. If it gets much above 250 for very long it will be REALLY dry.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
It also depends on if it is fat capped. No fat then back it off 4 hours. Each piece of meat is different so check after 8 hours

buckstar25

T-county
Yeah it's capped, I did the ribs in a big roaster with a bottle of Lager and bottle of Black an Tan.

Do you think if I use the soda recipe and cover it will keep it from drying out? I stand fire brick up on its side and put the pan on top to get distance from top of wood burner....

If the battery goes dead in the inverter we may come back to a charred brisket!
Any suggestions for rub?? I have done one in smoker and just used salt/pepper and a little brown sugar.

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
As long as there is moisture, it won't dry out. At the bow shoot, my brisket was done in 8 hours,( in a smoker ) but I let it go for almost 14. I wanted the IT ( internal temp ) to go to 200 or so, so it would shred easily. I used Carolina Treet for my rub, but you won't find it anywhere but online or in the South. Any rub you find at the grocery will work fine. Just remember .... if it's cooked outside, it'll taste all the better. If your buddy's have been drinking, they'll love it no matter what !

buckstar25

T-county
As long as there is moisture, it won't dry out. At the bow shoot, my brisket was done in 8 hours,( in a smoker ) but I let it go for almost 14. I wanted the IT ( internal temp ) to go to 200 or so, so it would shred easily. I used Carolina Treet for my rub, but you won't find it anywhere but online or in the South. Any rub you find at the grocery will work fine. Just remember .... if it's cooked outside, it'll taste all the better. If your buddy's have been drinking, they'll love it no matter what !

Thanks! I just got some homemade rub from a guy I wok with. It's made with Cocoa and Coffee, it tastes amazing and he said he made I especially for brisket. Sounds weird to me but when I tasted it I was sold.

Do you cut it immediately or let it stand for the hour??

Thanks for the help guys, 11 more hours of work , and it can't end soon enough! I'll post up some pics when I am doing the brisket.

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
When I attended my other deer camp after Strouds, one of the guys brought in a deer's hind quarter. I'm telling you .... when I had some of it, I honestly thought it was beef. They smoked it for a spell, then put it in a foil pan, added beef broth & covered it with potatoes, peppers & carrots & such, then covered with foil. It was very tender. It was amazing.

buckstar25

T-county
Forgot about this thread, figured if share the pictures of the finished product (going through my phone pics and saw them).

One can of RC Cola, covered the Brisket with Worcestershire sauce then rubbed it down with a new rub a guy I work with made. It included cocoa and coffee. Stoked the wood burner before we left in the morning and let it go. Kept the brisket at 180 degrees all day. After we got back from the woods we got a good bed of coals and I had 3 big pieces of oak to throw on to finish. About 2hrs later we cut into it and it turned out amazing! Thanks for the info guys, the only thing we weren't sure of is if the fence we used to cook on was galvanized!!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1384814126.461780.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1384814143.281288.jpg

oakswamper

around Toledo
When I attended my other deer camp after Strouds, one of the guys brought in a deer's hind quarter. I'm telling you .... when I had some of it, I honestly thought it was beef. They smoked it for a spell, then put it in a foil pan, added beef broth & covered it with potatoes, peppers & carrots & such, then covered with foil. It was very tender. It was amazing.

I wrap mine with bacon and smoke for 2 hours then put in a foil pan with red spuds and 5 or 6 sliced granny smiths, cover pan tight for around 3 hours at 250 meat shreds real nice and is quite tasty