Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Just speechless

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
The total randomness of life, and hunting and what happens definitely takes it's toll on my psyche. Today I climbed out of the stand at 9;30 with nothing spotted. On my way home I see a true giant running off a smaller buck from an evergreen treeline in the middle of a cut corn field. Right away I know he's got a hot doe there. This is right smack in the middle of my central hunting grounds. I quickly parked and started my stalk directly into the wind, plenty of cover, etc... I closed the gap from 400 yards to 100 yards real quick. Then over the next 2 hours I slow crawled under, around, and through trees, weeds, burrs, mud to within 30 yards, all the while watching him run off and beat the hell out of 3 smaller bucks. He would get up occasionally and run them off before returning and bedding in the open, allowing me to inch closer and clear a lane for a shot. Finally within 30 yards, I decide next time he gets up Im gonna stand, tuck myself in, and prepare for the shot when he comes back. It works like a charm. He ran and rolled a nice 8 pointer completely head over heels through the corn. That 8 point had mud and cornstalks dangling everywhere. When he returned, he squared up with his doe, broadside at 30 yards, I was already drawn. I touched the release. And watched my arrow almost clip his antlers. He runs out with the doe to about 40 yards and turns to look at me nocking another arrow. That's when I realized that my nock from the first arrow was still on the string. By then they split and headed across the road and walked in under my treestand. I could shoot my arrows and I have 1000's of times and never have had that happen. I've never ever noticed a noc that tight to my string before. Im sick to my stomach. This deer is a absolute beauty of a buck. Definitely 160" class. He's a main frame 5x5 with split brows on both sides, so I guess a typical 12 point? He has great tine and main beam length and a chocolate colored rack. Man oh man. The only thing I can think is I pulled that arrow on and off 4-5 times while inching closer into position. Maybe I bumped the noc and squeezed it, I dunno. Just a sickening feeling. Only positive is he is in my main area, but for how long, who knows?

buckstar25

T-county
I feel your pain man! Similar thing happened to me about 8 years ago.

what a sight to see though man, you got to watch what most of us dream of watching. For what it's worth (probably not a replica lot right now) you put a stalk on a deer, watched him defend "his" doe, got close enough to get the shot off..... I'd say that's a hunt of a lifetime right there! Keep after him, you know he is there now. Redemption time!! Great read too!

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
That just sucks man. To work that hard & get that close, on the ground, only to have something so completely random happen... Man, I don't know what to say. If you can get back out in the morning & get back after him go for it. Maybe the "deer Gods" have something even better in store for ya!! Good luck!!

buckstar25

T-county
Was the nock damaged? Tryin to picture what it would look like to be stuck on th string at the release of an arrow, definitely a one in a million mishap!

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Wow. Just WOW. Nothing more I can say to that. That sucks bad and is so odd and random to have happen.

I hope you can get back on him and seek some redemption buddy.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Oh man, that does suck! It's always the dumbest little things that cost us really good bucks. At this point in my life, I would almost consider that "normal". :) I've had knocks stick on the string in the past (not on a deer). A little touch of glue will solve that problem, but I never noticed it effect arrow flight to any degree. Then again, I was never shooting at a deer I really, really wanted to kill either...that makes all the difference.

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Great story and even though you didn't get him you will remember it for the rest of your life!!! I'll take a clean miss any day over a shot through the guts. I remember one year early in the season i told myself that i was staying in the wood till 10 but for some reason i head back to the truck. I open up the passenger door to put my bow in the truck and look up arcross the field just in time to see a huge buck walking to the woods i just left. I look at my watch and its ten o'clock. I dont leave early anymore LOL!!!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
BTW, we always remember the ones that got away a lot clearer than the ones that did not. Congratulations on a great memory!:)

Mao

Coshocton, OH
Unlucky man and I hate to hear that! I would bet money that buck is still close. If he has a hot doe like you said, he is going to follow her wherever she goes. I'd keep after him. Good luck!

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Great story!
It could have been worse though. You could have rump or gut shot him. I'll take a clean miss and a grand story over a bad hit and potental loss anyday!

Best of luck the next time out! The last 50 yards of the stalk and shot must have been a rush !

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
It was definitely the biggest rush Ive had deer hunting in a very long time, maybe ever. I hope they stick to the thicket where I watched them walk in. If they come out to feed tomorrow I'll be there. As far as the noc goes, after taking a pic of it stuck to me string I flung the fugger as far as I could. I wish I wouldn't have, so I could diagnose what it was. Im just chalking it up to Karma. Funny thing is, when the last sequence happened with hime walking back to me, I was thinking "ok, what's any possible thing that could stop me from killing him?" All I could think of was him just bedding straight on facing me would temporarily keep him alive. By all rights I had him.