Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Locked Down

Big H

Medina
I put this is the Rut update, but thought I would give it a thread of it's own. Doe is in the lower right corner.

Attachments

• Parma Buck.jpg
    Parma Buck.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Yep! Ryan(redheadhunter)mentioned his buddy saw a 140+" buck with a doe yesterday or the day before. Sounds like in some areas it's started all ready.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
The rut is a 3 month thing... you guys know that! Sure, most of 'em come in mid-November, but a couple of weeks either way isn't out of the norm.

Cool pic! That is a buck that can be walked up on and shot stone dead right there!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I agree with Brock, just a few early birds coming in like every year. The peak in about 10-18 days the highest number of does will be in, just like every other year.

Shoulder Blade

Most everything in nature follows a Gaussian or normal" distribution. Whether you are measuring height, weight, people's recovery time to the flu, caloric intake, whatever it is; if the sample size is large enough it will exhibit characteristics of a normal or bell shape curve.

The timing or distribution of the rut is no different.

The reaction on forums to early or late breeding would be similar to seeing one of the world's shortest or tallest people. These are more rare, outlying type events that can leave you scratching your head.

Now if u see a breeding pair say on nov 10th, no big deal right. That's like walking past some 5'10" guy at the gas station, ya never look twice. That's because it is expected or "normal".

Very few does are bred in September, just like there are very few 4ft adult-human males.

Very few does are bred in february, just like there are few 7.5+ adult-human males.

Most adult males are 5'9-5'10, much like most of the does are bred in the first 2 weeks of November.

It all boils down to statistics if the sample size is large enough. Don't go crazy reacting to an early or outlier event.

If you don't believe me look at this link:

http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/big-buck-zone/2013/09/more-calling-rut-numbers-don’t-lie

teej89

NE PA
Most everything in nature follows a Gaussian or normal" distribution. Whether you are measuring height, weight, people's recovery time to the flu, caloric intake, whatever it is; if the sample size is large enough it will exhibit characteristics of a normal or bell shape curve.

The timing or distribution of the rut is no different.

The reaction on forums to early or late breeding would be similar to seeing one of the world's shortest or tallest people. These are more rare, outlying type events that can leave you scratching your head.

Now if u see a breeding pair say on nov 10th, no big deal right. That's like walking past some 5'10" guy at the gas station, ya never look twice. That's because it is expected or "normal".

Very few does are bred in September, just like there are very few 4ft adult-human males.

Very few does are bred in february, just like there are few 7.5+ adult-human males.

Most adult males are 5'9-5'10, much like most of the does are bred in the first 2 weeks of November.

It all boils down to statistics if the sample size is large enough. Don't go crazy reacting to an early or outlier event.

If you don't believe me look at this link:

http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/big-buck-zone/2013/09/more-calling-rut-numbers-don’t-lie

preach brotha! lol anytime math/statistics is involved I love it!

nis1

They aren't locked down, the bigger guys know what does are gonna come in first so they stick around em. Bucks are seeking and chasing hard though.