Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Carrying ladder stand.

theshark

I purchased a 16' ladder stand. How would I get the stand into the woods? Platform is assembled. Some type of back pack system? I do not own an ATV, getting a truck into the area is not an option.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Sammymusi

I carried a ladder stand for years .. 12 footer .. 50 some lbs every day I would set up and take down.. used a few back pack straps .. then went to a lone wolf climber and never looked back .. look on ebay for molle straps you can't go wrong with those

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I purchased a 16' ladder stand. How would I get the stand into the woods? Platform is assembled. Some type of back pack system? I do not own an ATV, getting a truck into the area is not an option.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Besides muscle and sweat I don't know. Ever thought about stackable sticks and hang on stand?

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
You could hire porters and let them carry it and set it up for you, pretend you're on safari.....
(Instead of Africans carrying your stuff on the savanna you'd have a couple of toothless hillbillys on the Wayne...but hey, with a little imagination, that spike buck turns into an angry rhino.....)

Man I need a day off.....

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I have hauled all of my ladder stands and hung them by myself. I wouldn't do it as a mobile set up but for one and done...it can work. I take rope with me to pull the stand against the tree. I use that same rope as a gym bag strap. Wrap it with a towel so it doesn't cut into your shoulder TOO much. Plus it will come in handy after you are done sweating you ass off.

I also duct tape the stand together so it isn't flopping around.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Man, getting a ladder stand into the woods alone is a son of a gun. The best thing to do is ask a friend to help. You really should have two people there to hang it anyway.

As far as ease of putting up, the rope Beener suggested will help. Also, get some "Tree Stand Up" pegs. they make putting it up alone much easier. Here's a link to my review:
http://www.theohiooutdoors.com/showthread.php?14065-Tree-stand-up

As far as carrying it in? I always either have my dad or one of my sons along to help. I carry the heavier platform and they carry the ladder sections. Good luck!

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I've moved them fully assembled when by myself. I put my body between the top step and the one below it. Drag it behind you which will put some of the weight on the ground and some of it in front. Not a quiet method but it will work better than carrying all the weight.

I use a deer cart

Next to the woods , I put the stand togeather if I can get to the stand spot easly
Strap the platform to the deer cart
Grab the bottom and walk in pulling the stand & deer cart

If a tough path , just put the stand on the deer cart and walk in

With a ATV 2 stands can be moved in 1 trip

John

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
X2 on getting some help. Not only will it make the job easier, but it also much safer. ladder stands can be wobbly until they are ratcheted to the tree. Unfortunately, you have to be in the stand to do that. Always a good idea to have someone there with you just in case.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Put it all together except the ladder itself.... Split it in half assemble the lower half as well... Like said earlier stand in the ladder in between the rungs having it centered as far as weight and walk it back too the tree it's going up.... Fairly straight forward and easy.... I use. Jains with pad locks too prevent stands from walking away and I will lock he stand too the tree as loosely as possible too allow it too slide up he tree.... The middle support that gets strapped too the tree can be used as well too push it up he tree works pretty good.... The best is having a buddy and an extension ladder and a trap and pulley system that you can just hoist it up ...

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
If you don't have a deer cart, all you need is 2 wheels and a axle. Lash the platform to the axle and pull by the ladder. You'll look like a hook-en-ladder firetruck but large tires like off a peddle mt. bike wont be TOO heavy.

theshark

You could hire porters and let them carry it and set it up for you, pretend you're on safari.....
(Instead of Africans carrying your stuff on the savanna you'd have a couple of toothless hillbillys on the Wayne...but hey, with a little imagination, that spike buck turns into an angry rhino.....)

Man I need a day off.....

"Toothless hillbilly's"? I resemble that remark..:smiley_baby: